ONKYO TX SR 605????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Im in the market for a new multichannel receiver .I am looking at the Onkyo TX SR 605 which looks amazing and i know its won what hi fi awards.Im just wondering if its maybe to much for my needs and abit overkill and if the onkyo tx sr 505 would be better suited for me.

I have a Samsung le40m86 lcd tv a Sony PS3,Sky +(soon to be sky hd) Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCPspeaker package.And im using Qed qunex hdmi p cables to connect the tv-ps3-amp.

My living room is 4.5m X 4m.I watch Blu-Ray dvd and standard dvds using the ps3 and i do like to have the volume cranked up ;0)

I dont mind paying for the 605 if im going to notice and be able to use the extra bits but if 505 will do just as good a job then i might aswell save my money.

Any advice welcome,Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="HopAlong"]Anybody with some advice regarding my previous post.
[/quote]

Yes - buy the 605. It will let you access the higher-quality movie soundtracks on the Blu-ray discs you play.

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
As the PS3 does not do bit stream audio the best you will get is dolby 5.1 through optical. Apparently the PS3 will never do it either (read this in stuff not sure if true?).

With this in mind I think that the lower end onkyo will do everything you need it to do. If you are going to upgrade to a blue ray player which does bit stream (not many out at the lower end which are 1.1 - 2.0 compatable) then think about the onkyo 605. I have it and its great :).

Mike

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments i ordered the 605 yesterday from Sevenoaks after i had a listen to it in there audition room with the same speaker set up as mine at home.I was truly amazed at the sound with cd's and movies well worth the money.Shame i have to wait 3 weeks for the silver model to come from onkyo though.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="michael.seigal"]As the PS3 does not do bit stream audio the best you will get is dolby 5.1 through optical. Apparently the PS3 will never do it either [/quote]

The PS3 does multichannel Linear PCM, which is a great advance over DD 5.1 via optical, and future upgrades are expected to further enhance its abilities.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="michael.seigal"]
Andrew where did you read that future upgrades will inhance the audio? I have heard that the Play station will never do HD audio?

Michael
[/quote]

Andrew's right. The PS3 can deliver Dolby True HD via multi-channel Linear PCM over HDMI. There may be future upgrades to allow it to deliver DTS-HD Master Audio as Linear PCM in the future. It's a rumour that has been going around for a while and will hopefully come to fruition. The PS3 cannot deliver HD audio as bitstream and never will. If you have a PS3 hooked up to an Onkyo TXSR605, in the audio settings you will need to switch between Linear PCM over HDMI for HD audio from Blu-Ray (e.. True HD) and bitstream for all your other sound formats to let the amp do the decoding. You will hear the benefit.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The newer players do, such as the Sony BDP-S300 and the BDP-S500. They decode it the player and will pass it through HDMI as Linear PCM. The S500 will also allow bitstreaming of HD audio (in the same way as the Tosh HD-EP35). Disappointingly, I don't think either are profile 1.1 yet. Only the PS3 is at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts