Onkyo TX-NR809 - Boom

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, don't know what happened there.

I have just bought a new Onkyo TX-NR809 to replace my old, busted Cambridge Audio 540R. It took me some time to decide which Receiver to go for and in the end listened to advice from a salesman at Richersounds Swiss Cottage. Having hear a 709 i decided to go for the 809 as i preferred the styling. However i was quite specific that i wanted it in silver and so they ordered it me as a special order.

Two weeks later and it arrives. I do a 60 mile round trip to collect it, get it home, spend the whole day setting it up, new wires, cables, hiding them out of plain sight etc.

Then this morning i listen to music whilst sorting through a few things, bi-amped the fronts and for a new machine that still needs to be run in i was generally impressed with the sound from CD palyback.

I then sat down to watch a movie and three minutes into the movie (remembering i havent heard or witnessed hi-def sound) and there is a spark, a flash, a bang and a plume of smoke. The receiver has blown up and is now dead.

I then tried to get in touch with Onkyo UK but there number on there site appears to not be working. Looking on there website i then contcted Genserve who appear to do Onkyo, Denon and Marants repairs. The chap i spoke to there stated that it is quite a common thing for receivers to go bang and blow a capacitor.

Has anyone else had this issue with receivers going bang. Should it be that i stay away from Onkyo, have they a history of unreliability. And should it be acceptable that AV Receivers in particular have a tendancy to go bang, no other electrical item in my house has decided to give up.

Tony

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
There are a lot of Onkyo owners on the forum (including myself) and I've not seen any issues of them going bang before, so it's certainly not something that could ever be regarded as "common" - certainly not for AV receivers in general - the engineer may regard it as common, but then that's his day job, so he probably sees a lot more than your average consumer! I would definitely place this down to bad luck.

Speak to Richer Sounds - if this is brand new, they should definitely be replacing it for you for a brand new one.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes speak to RS and get it replaced straight away.The problem has happened in the first week and RS will sort you out a new one they have a good customer services. All AV receivers need plenty of space for airflow and earlier Onkyo amps did run a little hotter than some of its rivals, so bear trhat in mind when you get your replacement.Hopw it works out for you, let us know what happens.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What speakers are you using? And what volume was it set to when it went 'bang'? Is it in a cabinet? If so, is it ventilated anywhere? Is it on a rack? If so, how much specs does it have above it?

Answers need to be found in case it was caused by something you were doing, otherwise you could well experience it again, regardless of the receiver you use.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It is not common place for any electronics to go bang and with many years in the industry it is something I have only encountered on a handful of occasions. I wouldnt be put off Onkyo for this one issue.

At this stage you shouldn't be dealing with Genserve all queries should be directed to your retailer. If there is a warranty issue it is for them to deal with. Presuming user error is not the cause then you should be looking for a brand new unit.

jakesterboy

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
All consumer electronics products have a reliability curve against time that resembles the letter 'U' over the designed life span of approximately 10 years. In other words, in the early days/ weeks of use of an electronic product, failures are more likely. If the product progresses beyond say, 100 hours use, it is likely that the product will not fail until it's 'end of life' time (10 years approx), as long as the product is used within it's design parameters. After the'end of life' period has expired, failure rates then increase rapidly.

In short, you have been unlucky.

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you all for your comments and advice. Richer are on the case seeing if they can get hold of another one in silver.

Nick - i contacted Genserve direct only in order to establish if this was a common fault or regular occurance with the brand or indeed more common on the 809 in particular as they are the UK approved repairers.

David @ Frank Harvey -

1. Speakers are Mordaunt Short MS914s as fronts, MS304 as centre, MS302 as rears and Cambridge audio Minx x200 as sub(5.1 set-up only with front bi-amped). They were set at 6ohm which i believe was the default setting and speakers are rated to run 4-8ohm. p.s. not sure if these are considered good speakers or if they would hold my receiver back. Bought the floorstanders after a review in What HiFi when they came out so i think they got a good write up or else i would not have got them as i didn't and still don't know much about Home AV. Got the rest to match and follow on and only had a sub for the last 5 months.

2. Unit was on open glass rack, no clutter except for the rear obviously with all the cables and no vents obstructed with good airflow clearance.

3. Speaker wire was terminated with banana plugs.

4. The volume was not loud, from memory i think around 50 but from the on screen display bar around if not under halfway.

No idea why this happened and now it has left me with a phobia of swithching and using all appliances. Def blown a capacitor cause when i boxed it up i could hear it rattle and saw it loose through the grills.

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
David @ Frank Harvey

Would you care to voice an opinion on my last comment/answer to your questions as i have noticed you appear to be the font of all knowledge on these forums and would appreciate your opinion.

Tony

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
tony0898 said:
David @ Frank Harvey

Would you care to voice an opinion on my last comment/answer to your questions as i have noticed you appear to be the font of all knowledge on these forums and would appreciate your opinion.

Tony

Sarcasm will get you everywhere...

Faulty components happen, capacitors are made in their millions, they're unlikely to all have been tested, you can't go through the rest of your life being afraid to switch anything on. Get it repaired, get over it, get on with enjoying your movies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Although the rack is 'open', how much gap between the top of the 809 was there to the next shelf up?

I can't see anything that could be wrong, other than the possibility of the speakers dropping to 4ohms, but this can only cause a serious issue at high volumes. At normal volume levels, they may make an amplifier heat up a little warmer than it normally would, but not blow up. Which movie were you watching when it blew up?

I'm not sure I've ever come across a component that has come away from the circuit board because it blew up. With capacitors and resistors, you'll usually end up with it's 'legs' still soldered to the board, and the middle burnt away, not too disimilar to the remains left by "spontaneous human combustion"! Maybe not a nice comparison, but you get the gist. Maybe there was a loose part accidentally left inside, and it's not been an issue until it was dislodged or something by some heavy bass in a movie. This may have caused it to make contact with some components it shouldn't have, and caused the problem. many of these receivers will shut down if there's something not quite right, so I'm going with "spontaneous Onkyo combustion" - it just happened.

I've only ever has one amplifier blow up on me (in the early 90's on a demo room), which involved a bang and some flames. It was the hi-fi amplifier at fault. I'm not saying which amp it was (not Onkyo) - they'll moan :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I've only ever has one amplifier blow up on me (in the early 90's on a demo room), which involved a bang and some flames. It was the hi-fi amplifier at fault. I'm not saying which amp it was (not Onkyo) - they'll moan :)

My Sony AV amp went bang about 12 years ago, about 6 months after I'd bought it. I was watching the extended Terminator 2, during the scene where Sarah is dreaming in the asylum, walking outside in silence and then the bomb drops. The explosion went "B...", the baffle on my left surround speaker went "PING!" across the room and nothing more was to be heard again.

So, I boxed it up, took it back to the shop, they sent it off for repair, I got it back a few weeks later and it's been working flawlessly ever since, I'm still using it every day. It was irritating sure, but it didn't make me act like nothing would ever work ever again.

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

A chap at Genserve has suggested that i look at my speaker wiring as that sometimes can cause this to happen. My wiring is fine, and is as it was when my old unit was working and is now as i have had to put it back. The only difference is that the fronts were bi-amped.

I used Audyssey to set it up and it reported no issues and was working even when listening to music at a reasonable level.

The film i was watching at the time was the first minute of Hancock, the cars speeding down the street. And regarding space above the unit in the rack i would say 5-7cm's.

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
809 taken away today for repair as there are no others in silver available in Europe.

Anyone got any opinions on whether my speaker set up is/will not do this receiver justice, do i need to upgrade?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts