Onkyo Tx-NR646...Help please .

MRAlan

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I replaced my old Onkyo receiver ( can not recall model number) in June 2015 .. with the 646 -. I have had no issues with it until now . All of a sudden - I have no video or sound from it.

The Tv recognises a source is connected ( HDMI2- ARC)

But I can not get OSD . Well - I can .. if I reset the receiver.

Then when I have the choice would I like to check the source connections are made correctly - I choose “yes” ( I only have the Arc cable connected - so choose Tv on the choice I would like to check ..- it comes up with “is the picture and sound right which you wish to connect” ... and I hav no picture or sound... so I ten choose “no”.. so then it abides to make sure cables are connected ( which they are.. and I have tried a new cable too) and asks to make sure power source is on - which it is.

Any advice would be appreciated... I have heard Onkyo have admitted faults with some models ( HDMI - board) but not sure if it covers my model

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Try a complete system reset (look up how on the internerd).

If that doesn't fix the problem and if its happening with more than one input, your HDMI board may indeed have had it, but AFAIK those issues were sorted out long before the 646 came out, so I don't know what to suggest.

Sorry.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Before you chuck the thing out, however, try hooking your source(s) up to previously un or lightly used HDMI inputs. And if there is one, the TV to the second HDMI output. It may just be the socket(s) gone bad, not the whole board.

You can try an HDMI board transplant using a secondhand board off eBay or wherever if you're minded, but given the relatively low price of the 646 you might be just as well taking the opportunity to upgrade to a newer unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts