Onkyo TX-8050: do you use digital or analogue connects?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hallo,

I just bought an Onkyo TX-8050 to replace my Yamaha RX440 av-receiver. With my Yamaha I used the optical connection to connect with my Sony S570 Bluray player. Initially I used the same connection with the TX-8050 but I found it sounded way too bombastic with my B&W 686’s. As an alternative I connected the TX-8050 and S570 by using a RCA-cable of the kind that you get free with new equipment. I was very surprised by the result. The sound was more neutral and much easier on my ears.

I was wondering how TX-8050 owners have their kit connected. Do you use analogue or digital and can an even better result be gained by using a specific brand of cable? Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter

mantazu

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
That is the question what equipment converts digital to analog and what part it does better. If you connect digital, then Onkyo, if analog then Sony. I would go for better sound. If you like what you here from analog, just do it. But why do you need blueray-DVD player for stereo system?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
@ Mantas

I use the S570 as a multiplayer for playing Bluray and dvd on my Panasonic TX-42PV70 and cd/MP3 for music. In my bedroom I don't have a surround setup. That's why I replaced the Yamaha RX440 with the Onkyo TX-8050. The Yamaha wasn't bad at stereo, but having a case of upgraditus, I figured that a dedicated stereo amp/receiver would sound better. And guess what? It does! Now I'm searching for some nice interconnects to tweak my sound!

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I use optical conection, as my players doesn't have the best DACs (old Yamaha and Philips). I've tried analog, but find sound with optical better.

Like Mantas said: depends of your equipment.

T

the record spot

Hi Peter, good choice, but then I would say that!

I use digital interconnects from my TV to the amp, but standard RCA cables to my CD players. Atlas Navigator to the Denon and Monster Interlink 300s to the Marantz. Tried coax to the Onkyo from the Denon, but though good, the Atlas cables are a tad better and deliver (a very slightly) more rounded sound that is better to my ears. That's from a cable sceptic too!

Worth pointing out though that while the Atlas cables work well with the Denon, they don't click too good with the Marantz. The Monsters work better there. It's very minor though, so don't lose too much shut eye over it.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've only been using analogue, but mostly cos I just haven't got around to trying out the digital connects.

Perfectly happy with my cheap analogue interconnect between my Marantz 63 KI and the amp.

Pretty sure Record Spot uses the digital inputs and is very happy with them.

There should be lots of 8050 owners on here who can give you their experience with the optical in...

A

Anonymous

I'm using my TX-8050 as kitchen radio (with B&W CCM ceiling speakers). Mostly listening to FM radio and DLNA streaming. Analoge connections only when there are no digital connections on the kit.

mantazu

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
@ Peter

You are on the right way then :). I would concider adding DAC to the system (like Rega or even Audio Note). And if you go analog way from your Sony to Onkyo - do not save on cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts