Onkyo Setup

Oxonrich

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just purchased an Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver and some B&W 684s as the basis for a home theatre system. I'm planning on adding more B&W speakers over time to get 5.1 (or maybe even 7.1) but for now have the front speakers Bi-Amped in a simple stereo setup. The only devices I have connected at the moment are an Apple TV, PS3 and a budget DVD player. While I hope that this will become a decent home theatre system over time, I probably listen to music more than I watch Films/TV and my current priority is to get my music collection sounding good. Although sound quality is important to me, I am not trying to get audiophile quality. I'm trying to maximise the convenience of an iTunes library with the best sound I can get from the equipment I have, and will look to make affordable upgrades where they could improve things. I have most of my music stored on an iMac in another room. My favourite music is stored in Apple Lossless format, and stuff I listen to less often I just use AAC.

My question is, will music I stream over the Apple TV use the DAC inside the Onkyo when it is connected by HDMI? If not, will connecting the Apple TV via an Optical Audio Cable make this possible? I'm guessing the Burr Brown DAC in my receiver should be better than what is inside the Apple TV but don't know how tell which DAC is in use, or test for the difference. Should I be using the 'Pure Audio' listening mode, the 'Direct' listening mode or does this not make a difference which DAC is being used?

Any advice gratefully received. Incidentally, the system already sounds pretty damn good to my ears, but if there is a way of improving it I would love to know.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, if connected via HDMI you'll be using the Onkyo's DACs, not the ATVs, but bear in mind the ATV upsamples audio to 48kHz, not the 44.1khz standard. Given your comments about audio quality that shouldn't be a problem, but it gets the audio purists a bit aerated.

Yes, use the Pure Audio setting when listening to music. This will turn off all the video - so you won't see the ATV menus - but will give the best sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts