onkyo product recall

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bearwolfblade said:
Seems there's is a problem with tx range http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html
Well, no, to clarify, there's not "a problem with tx range". In fact, it looks like there's a potential problem with some specific units of some of Onkyo's range (i.e. those manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012).Given it states "In individual cases disturbances may occur, for example, the product switching itself off", this suggests if you're not getting any issues, you don't need to worry. However, to be absolutely sure, Onkyo have provided the facility to input your model and serial number so you can check all is well.

bearwolfblade said:
Seems there's is a problem with tx range http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/product-recall-80305.html

Well, no, to clarify, there's not "a problem with tx range". In fact, it looks like there's a potential problem with some specific units of some of Onkyo's range (i.e. those manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012).

Given it states "In individual cases disturbances may occur, for example, the product switching itself off", this suggests if you're not getting any issues, you don't need to worry. However, to be absolutely sure, Onkyo have provided the facility to input your model and serial number so you can check all is well.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:
Well, no, to clarify, there's not "a problem with tx range". In fact, it looks like there's a potential problem with some specific units of some of Onkyo's range (i.e. those manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012).Given it states "In individual cases disturbances may occur, for example, the product switching itself off", this suggests if you're not getting any issues, you don't need to worry. However, to be absolutely sure, Onkyo have provided the facility to input your model and serial number so you can check all is well.

bearwolfblade said:

Well, no, to clarify, there's not "a problem with tx range". In fact, it looks like there's a potential problem with some specific units of some of Onkyo's range (i.e. those manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012).

Given it states "In individual cases disturbances may occur, for example, the product switching itself off", this suggests if you're not getting any issues, you don't need to worry. However, to be absolutely sure, Onkyo have provided the facility to input your model and serial number so you can check all is well.
talk about being pedantic most of the models are from the tx range or did you not bother to check as usual

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bearwolfblade said:
talk about being pedantic most of the models are from the tx range or did you not bother to check as usual
Not at all. In fact the reason I was able to give accurate information (instead of generalisations) was because I did check. However, there are also models of the TX range which don't have the issue.
Not at all - there are also a number of current newer models from the TX range (and of course many older models) which don't have the issue, so to insinuate it was an issue with the entire TX range was inaccurate. Ironically, the reason I was able to give more accurate information (instead of sweeping generalisations) was because I did check. As usual :)

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:
Not at all. In fact the reason I was able to give accurate information (instead of generalisations) was because I did check. However, there are also models of the TX range which don't have the issue.
Not at all - there are also a number of newer models from the TX range which don't have the issue, so to insinuate it was an issue with the TX range was inaccurate. Ironically, the reason I was able to give this accurate information (instead of sweeping generalisations) was because I did check. As usual :)
how many sane people would actually know if there tx–$&$& was actually made within the specified time period or if they bought new old stock. Without checking on the onkyo site your tx-$&$& could develop the fault its been recalled for. most of the recalled models have the prefix tx if you go to the onkyo site you can then find out if your model is at risk . I didnt say every tx was faulty and included the link so people could check first. Even then at the onkyo site they can only tell you if there may be a risk to your unit which is why you can email your model and serial number to onkyo for help

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bearwolfblade said:
how many sane people would actually know if there tx–$&$& was actually made within the specified time period or if they bought new old stock.

I'd say any sane person who bought their Onkyo prior to November 2011 could be extremely confident it wouldn't develop this fault. 100% confident in fact ;) I for example own an older Onkyo TX AV receiver - from your post, it looked like mine might possibly have an issue. As I discovered though, since it was definitely manufactured prior to November 2011, I can be 100% sure it doesn't.

At any rate, I didn't post my reply to annoy or antagonise you, just to present more facts so that people didn't have to worry about it and click the link to discover this.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
bearwolfblade said:
how many sane people would actually know if there tx–$&$& was actually made within the specified time period or if they bought new old stock.

I'd say any sane person who bought their Onkyo prior to November 2011 could be extremely confident it wouldn't develop this fault. 100% confident in fact ;) I for example own an older Onkyo TX AV receiver - from your post, it looked like mine might possibly have an issue. As I discovered though, since it was definitely manufactured prior to November 2011, I can be 100% sure it doesn't.

At any rate, I didn't post my reply to annoy or antagonise you, just to present more facts so that people didn't have to worry about it and click the link to discover this.
seems there was a problem being unable to edit my first post which led to this thread .i purchased the tx-8050 in november so could be a unlucky one. until i pull the unit out and check the serial no. I dont know even if mine is faulty yet and yes it did feel like you were having a dig at me and my misfortunes .thinking about it a man of your calibre would never lower yourself to those standards

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries, it's easy for misunderstandings like this to occur in a written forum. You won't have been able to edit your first post as soon as I replied to it I'm afraid - the forum software doesn't allow it. So I am to blame for that bit ;)

Also, to maybe help put your mind at rest, if you purchased your unit in November, I'd say it's incredibly unlikely to be affected. But even if by some miracle chance they managed to get a freshly manufactured unit to you that quickly, you've got Onkyo's promise to repair it for free, so all should be good.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Just to clarify, I spoke to Onkyo UK's PR man yesterday and they reckon the number of UK-specific products affected is fairly small. As professorhat has already pointed out, you can check your serial number on the Onkyo website to see if it may need fixing. Full details in our news story.

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Just to clarify, I spoke to Onkyo UK's PR man yesterday and they reckon the number of UK-specific products affected is fairly small. As professorhat has already pointed out, you can check your serial number on the Onkyo website to see if it may need fixing. Full details in our news story.

thank you. yes have just checked even though it was purchased on the 11th december. the result was that my product was not concerned and doesn't need further examination .i was at fault for not editing my first post properly

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
professorhat said:
chebby said:
bearwolfblade said:
and theres me thinking you was the profs alter ego...

Don't give him another one.

Too true, I can barely fit in my living room as it is...

Actually I was writing about The_Lhc.

If you're suggesting I'm using multiple logins here then you couldn't be more wrong, I can barely remember one password, let alone two.

TRENDING THREADS