Onkyo AV reciever selection help please.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

Ive been trying to but the Onkyo TX NR609 for the last few days now but everywhere has sold out apart from ex display models so Im on the look out for an alternative and was after your expert opinions please.

Im looking at the TX NR515 £439

TX NR709 £549

TX NR616 £599

I have the budget for any of the 3 above but I dont want to spend out on the 616 if the 709 is pretty much the same so I was hoping you could help me on that.

I havent seen any reviews for the 616, is it a new release ?

Thanks a lot

Joe

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've tested the TX-NR515, which got the full five stars (although it's not a huge advance on last year's TX-NR609), and hope to get the TX-NR616 for review shortly. Both are brand-new models, as you can read here. The TX-NR709 is last year's model, but still excellent, especially at that price.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the 709 for some time and I would say it is the best for the price. I guess you can run a feature comparision on the Onkyo website and see if there are any features that are there in the new series that you really want. Otherwise, 709 with 7.1 pre outs is pretty much the best in the lot (also, I guess it has better Audyssey- please check it out)

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
This is really interesting to me aswell as I am thinking of upgrading my Sony to one of these Amps and I have the same speakers, any advice fellow forumers? :?

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ive ordered the Onkyo TX-NR616 and I just hope that I havn't dropped a testicle as I like getting equipment based on all the reviews.There doesn't seem to be any for this amp yet though.

Although as Andy says above they hope to review it soon.

Shame Im having it delivered tomorrow
smiley-surprised.gif

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
joeteds said:
Ive ordered the Onkyo TX-NR616 and I just hope that I havn't dropped a testicle as I like getting equipment based on all the reviews.There doesn't seem to be any for this amp yet though.

Although as Andy says above they hope to review it soon.

Shame Im having it delivered tomorrow
smiley-surprised.gif

Hi Joe,

Took the dive huh? :) Let us know what you think of it once you had a chance to run it in. Ta

Andy

A

Anonymous

i too am tempted with the 616, but after reading about the HDMI issues this has put me off a little.

it appears that the firmware updates from Onkyo are not fixing the issue for people either.

A

Anonymous

My personal opinion on Onkyos is they are bright, much more than I would personally ever want. Not in a detailed way but harsh and unforgiving. I owned a 605 for a while, then an 875 and a TXNR3008. All of which I thought were decent until I heard something from Arcam / Marantz and Yamaha.

Currently using an SR7002 I picked up for next to nothing and it is one of the nicest receivers I have ever owned!

Personally I find Yamahas far too laid back.

Have a look at a Denon / Marantz or Arcam avr. I find they work well with most speakers tonally do not bring out too much in any area.

Second hand in particular there are some crazy prices on some excellent receivers!

The 515 at £400 is a lot of money considering it is just a 509, not sure what to think of the reviews on my own listening it is very much a level down from the older 609.

TRENDING THREADS