Onkyo Amps - are they reliable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

I've currently got an Onkyo 606 which has been suffering from a known problem with the capacitors on the hdmi board.

I'm going to try this cheap fix-

http://www.olivershingler.co.uk/oliblog/2012/01/01/how-to-fix-an-onkyo-tx-sr606

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U

Should it go pear-shaped, it's new amp time. The Onkyo 609 is the one i'm after (good price/spec/reviews etc) but whats peoples experiences with recent Onkyo kit in terms of reliability? I don't want another dud :exmark:

Any other amps recommended in my price range?

My 5.1 speakers are Q-Acoustics 1010i's so something which would work well with those please - thanks in advance

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
They seem to need plenty of ventilation, the problems seem to show well after the warranty has run out. I won't be buying another Onkyo out of principle.

"To complete this form, please complete the word verification below." WTF? Every sodding post I get thisfucking message, sort it out someone!

[NOTE FROM MODS - this problem should be sorted now]

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
From hundreds of sales over the last six years across all Onkyo AV models from the 509 level up to the pre/power my experience is that Onkyo is a reliable brand both within and outwith warranty. Electronics fail, some more than others but IMO Onkyo is well within the limits of acceptable failure. Funny that other brands with a less vocal customer base are deemed reliable.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Nick.

Onkyo have sold rather a lot of AV receivers since the 05 range, so are ibviously going to have a certain percentage break down. Being honest, it was mainly the 606 and 875's that had issues, although there are a large number of users of the 05/06 receivers who've never had problems, and are very happy with their products.

A

Anonymous

The fix worked :grin:

A cheap soldering iron and some replacement capacitors (£11'ish in total) and it's working as it should :rofl:

Tomorrow it'll be hooked up to our new Panny P50GT30 - woohoo

Thanks for the advice folks re- Onkyo reliability, the 609 would of been my choice of replacement

jeallen01

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Bought a 609 just before Xmas, and it soon showed a fault with the input HDMI input circuitry.

However, Richer Sounds (Weybridge) exchanged it very quicky when I explained the problem (and took it back with a note attached to it so that no-one else would get lumbered with it!).

Replacement has been fine since.

John

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
.....I've used an 875 on a daily basis for 5 years ...no problems ..apart from a loose/cracked bulgin female mains connector to the rear panel ....?!

A

Anonymous

I've had a 807 for just over 2 yrs and used every day,I've been having audio problems for about a month when on Thursday it finally gave up completely, I suspected it was the hdmi board (after reading many posts on forums) rang richer sounds who to said I had 3 yr warranty so I'm a happy man while my onkyo is on its way to be repaired

rob

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I have been pondering over a new amp for a while now and although I've just upgraded my sub to a Tannoy ts10 im thinking towards a Onkyo 609, however I have read alot of posts here and there about Onkyo failures!!

I use a yamaha in my sig for 8yrs or so and it's never failed me once, I'm only thinking of upgrading to reduce so many HDMI to tv and so the new amp can decode all HD codecs rather than my BD decoding and Yammy amplifying.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll be worth asking those who have had failed Onkyos how much clearance they have above the receiver, to see whether these faults are due to people not following the manual's recommendation...

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
It'll be worth asking those who have had failed Onkyos how much clearance they have above the receiver, to see whether these faults are due to people not following the manual's recommendation...
David,

how much clearance are we talking about here? top and sides? Not enough causes over heating and capicitor failures?

on a side note, for the price of the 609 which amp would you recommend for my setup in sig?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I see a lot of questions regarding Onkyo but nothing mentioned about Integra. Why whould that be?

T

the record spot

Albeit not an AV amp, my Onkyo's used heavily and no issues with it.

A

Anonymous

Can't say that I can accept they are very reliable. I've been the unfortunate owner of 3 609's in the last 6 months. The first one lasted all of 10 seconds with a large crack and a puff of smoke. The other two both went west with HDMI board failures., and before anyone asks it had plenty of breathing space & everything was connected in the correct manner etc. I owned Denon and Yamaha amps performing in the same environment without problems for years. IMHO I think the build quality of both the later are better than the Onkyo. I was offered a 4th replacement but rejected it. I now have a Yamaha 671 running in it's place which sounds every bit as good if not better than the Onkyo.

This is the first piece of AV equipment I've had fail and to do 3 times is unacceptable, I'll be sticking to the manufacturers who have given me years of reliability. You can only speak as you find and spend your money as feel comfortable.

PS I also ran my last amps serial number through the Onkyo web site recall notice but was told it was not one affected, strange then that it failed for exactly the same problem as those under the recall?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts