onkyo 876 upgrade query

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All,

I have an option to buy the Onkyo TX-SR876 as an upgrade from my Yamaha dsp A5 but when I connect the onkyo up - as I have it on a trial basis - (5.1 speakers and optical digital source only at this stage), it just does not sound very powerful and doesn’t have the oomph when compared to the Yamaha. It does sound clearer (albeit with the treble on full and eq settings adjusted) but not such that it would be worth spending the extra money on. I have gone through the manual and set the speakers to maximum level and onto full band width (as I didn’t receive the mic) but just cannot get it sounding loud. I even turned up the volume to full. The same thing on the Yamaha would have caused the house to shake. I am obviously doing something wrong so your thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi and welcome... one thing to check - make sure you haven't got it in "night time mode" which will limit the dynamics quite significantly...

Maximum volume I had mine on over the weekend watching blu-rays was -18dB

A

Anonymous

thank you both for replies - the night mode was off - all different combinations were tried.

re the mic - the amp is on a trial basis but the person loaning it me has yet to supply the mic. however, on my other systems, i have used the mic to initially set up the volumes / timings / distances and then had to adjust the settings manually afterwards anyway. so on this occassion, i thought best to just set everything to maximum.

i am puzzled as the amp weighs a lot so would have associated that with power - but it doesnt seem to translate.

if i set my yamaha to -18, it would be too loud and will be litterally shaking the house down. on the dedicated forum, there is a previous yamaha owner who is extremely pleased at an upgrade and an equally disgruntled ex sony users who has the same concern as me.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried a hard reset? It's very odd that you're finding these issues. How big is your room and what speakers are you using? The source hasn't got its output volume turned down has it?

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It will sound quieter than normal if you havent the audyssey working. The amp shakes my room when its set to -20 db. I would get hold of another set up mic and run the set up. I have had this amp now for 8 months and it is worth every penny I paid for it :)

A

Anonymous

Thank both for the further advice. i have now given the amp back but did try a factory reset, checked whether the night setting was on and confirmed that the audessy was working. i may get another chance at loaning it and will try a bit more with it.

it is a shame as the kit looks impressive and i really wanted to buy it. if there are any other suggestions for when i get it back, they would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hmm something amiss somewhere. The 876 is a very powerful amplifier. THX Ultra II certification testifies to this.

If you can borrow it again try to get hold of the set up mic.

A

Anonymous

Dave

thanks that confirms my suspicions - without the mic i tried everything and every combination so it must be that the mic set up is compulsary. worrying prospect to those who lose the mic. will try again soon and then let you know how it went.

however, the seller is in a huff due to him having to come and collect the enormous beast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts