Onkyo 875 listening modes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System: I have an 875 running Monitor Audio S8s front channels, S6s surround channels, SFX centre and MJ Accoustics Pro 50 mkII Sub. The front channels are linked to my Cyrus 8vs which acts as a power amp when watching movies. Sony Bravia 40'', Cyrus CD8x with PSX-R, PS3, Sky HD

I love my movies and I love my music but I'm an audiophile not a technophile (as demonstated by my tendency to anthropmorphise my Onkyo in this post). Will the Onkyo do the tecchie bits for me or do I have to develop an interest in sound encryption?

My question is basically how much can I trust the Onkyo to choose the correct listening mode to decode the audio format on the disc? If a disc has DTS rather than Dolby will the Onkyo figure that out itself or do I have to tell it? Could I make the mistke of setting the 875 to a lower level of sound encryption than the disc and my system are capable of replicating or will the amp choose the most appropriate mode for my speaker package.

RE THX, this being a certification as opposed to a techonology why to I have to switch it on on the reciever? If I spin Star Wars with it's obvious THX badge through my reciever with it's badge do I have to switch to the THX mode to get the benefit? Will it figure out the correct THX mode given I only have a 5.1 speaker package and lack the extra rear channel or two?

Will the reciever know if a Sky broadcast has 5.1 and use that accordingly or do I have to tell it?

Will the reciver use HD audio decoding if it's availbel or do I have to tell it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]My question is basically how much can I trust the Onkyo to choose the correct listening mode to decode the audio format on the disc?
[/quote]

Within reason, totally, if it's set to detect the format automatically.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]If a disc has DTS rather than Dolby will the
Onkyo figure that out itself or do I have to tell it?[/quote]

It should do it for you

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]Could I make the
mistke of setting the 875 to a lower level of sound encryption than the
disc and my system are capable of replicating or will the amp choose
the most appropriate mode for my speaker package.[/quote]

Yes, you could force it into the wrong mode, but it'll choose the mode appropriate for the disc if you leave it to its own devices.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]RE THX, this being a certification as opposed to a techonology why
to I have to switch it on on the reciever? If I spin Star Wars with
it's obvious THX badge through my reciever with it's badge do I have to
switch to the THX mode to get the benefit? Will it figure out the
correct THX mode given I only have a 5.1 speaker package and lack the
extra rear channel or two?[/quote]

Yes THX is a certification, but the THX Cinema mode also adds some post-processing to the sound, which can make dialogue clearer and tighten up the focus. You can choose whether or not to use it, and use it - or not - with non-THX discs, too.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]Will the reciever know if a Sky broadcast has 5.1 and use that accordingly or do I have to tell it? [/quote]

Yup, provided your Sky HD box is set to output surround when available - choose Dolby Digital, not stereo, on the sound menu - and you have an optical cable from box to Onkyo. The HDMI only carries stereo.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]Will the reciver use HD audio decoding if it's availbel or do I have to tell it?[/quote]

Yes, provided your player is capable of outputting those formats and is set to do so. In the case of the PS3, that means setting it to handle all the available audio formats, and these will then be output as Linear PCM, which is every bit as good as sending them to the receiver in their native form.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew, that's very helpful and much appreciated.

3 more questions if I can press your time still further.

Are the listening modes exclusive or one another. ie Can I set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and THX Cinema and is that even necessary or does the THX setting assume Dolby or DTS?

There doesn't seem to be a Dolby digital setting on the amp yet it clearly decoding such. Why is this?

Finally, as I am obviously still finding my way around this excellent reciever (I wholeheartedly endorse What Hi-Fi's assessment of the product!) what is the best setting to use as standard for a) dolby digital 5.1 and b) stereo TV braodcasts.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]Are the listening modes exclusive or one another. ie Can I set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and THX Cinema and is that even necessary or does the THX setting assume Dolby or DTS?[/quote]

Yes, you can set THX Cinema processing independently of the basic mode in use. It's an add-on.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]There doesn't seem to be a Dolby digital setting on the amp yet it clearly decoding such. Why is this?[/quote]

It decodes DD automatically unless you, or the incoming bitstream, tells it to do otherwise.

[quote user="Carzy Dragon"]Finally, as I am obviously still finding my way around this
excellent reciever (I wholeheartedly endorse What Hi-Fi's assessment of
the product!) what is the best setting to use as standard for a) dolby
digital 5.1 and b) stereo TV braodcasts.[/quote]

a) Dolby Digital, with or without THX according to taste.

b) I tend to use Dolby PLIIx Music, with Panorama off and the Centre Width set fairly wide. It's worth experimenting.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, you've been a great help.

But, to tax you further . . . Temple of Doom DVD and Hairspray Blu-Ray sounded big and enveloping with lots of crash and bang and soaring voices.

Since I've started running the Sky HD through the 875 the picture of the SD broadcasts has dropped. It looks pixelated, grainy and lacks the definition I expect. This could be because the Sky-to-Onk HDMI cabel is still the crappy one from the Sky box, but it was fine when I ran it directly to the TV. Any suggestions beyond changing the cable? I wouldn't have thought it could've gotten worse!

TRENDING THREADS