Onkyo 806 vs 875?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I was tempted 6 months back to pick up a SR875, but, well, didn't!

I see from the Bargains forum that Sevenoaks are selling the 806 in their sale for £498. From my research 6 months ago I established that the 875 was the model of that range for me (absolute key requirement is audio line-out - which the lower spec Onkyo's don't offer - so that I can run the AV amp in conjunction with my stereo amp, through which will run CD, TT, and iPod).

How does the 806 compare to the 875? Looks like all 875 stocks are now exhausted, and no current owners want to sell theirs on ebay!

Unit would replace an age-ing Yamaha DSP-E800 3.1 btw 

Thanks 

A

Anonymous

Try Wilkinsons Hi Fi, they had one in Black last week, worth a call.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Try Wilkinsons Hi Fi, they had one in Black last week, worth a call.

not anymore, i picked it up on saturday! :)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Grrrr - you!

Kidding - enjoy...!ÿ

ÿ

rowey2507:

trevor79:Try Wilkinsons Hi Fi, they had one in Black last week, worth a call.

ÿ

not anymore, i picked it up on saturday!ÿ :)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Ooh - thanks to the last two posters. Not sure how I missed the RS offer - thought I'd gone through their website inside and out!

Does anyone have any comments on the refurbs (there's quite a few on ebay too)? I've never had a problem with ex-dem's, but no experience of buying hi-fi refurbs. Have bought refurb pc's off Dell without a problem - I guess the same principle would apply to an AV amp (swap out faulty component, test, re-sell).ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew. When you say the 876 has much better upscalling than the 806, how much better are we talking.

Was thinking about the 806 over something like the 606, yamaha 763 purely for the 1080p upscalling. Is it still of good quality on the 806?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
michael_walkden:
Andrew. When you say the 876 has much better upscalling than the 806, how much better are we talking.

805/806 upscaling is very good. 875/876 upscaling is even better.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Have just ordered one for £539.99 - free next day delivery too! :) :) :)

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!ÿ

daveh75:you could get a refurbished onk from here!

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but Andrew, is the scaler in the 876 likely to produce a better pic upscaling my Humax PVR, rather than feeind the PVR direct to the tele and letting the tele do its stuff (panasonic pz81 46"). I know the Humax box upscales SD signals, but would I see a benefit including the 876 in the loop? Thanks.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Have just phoned Exceptional-AV and delivery will not be until Thursday/Friday next week - gutted :-(

The guy on the phone was very apologetic - said there was supply problems from Onkyo. Which, if that's the case, is understandable. Just wish they'd update their website! (It clearly says "IN STOCK").

Lesson learnt: always phone to confirm stock availability.ÿ

margetti:

Have just ordered one for £539.99 - free next day delivery too! :) :) :)

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!ÿ

daveh75:you could get a refurbished onk from here!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts