Onkyo 705 not displaying pictures

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

(2nd attempt at posing this as the forum lost the posting first time)

I've got a problem which I think is related to my amp - Onkyo 705.

Whenever I turn on my TV (Pioneer Kuro 42), Amp & Sky+HD Box, I get the sound working immediately, but, it can take up to 20 minutes for the picture to be displayed. (no exageration here, 20 minutes!).

If I change the Amp input to say, "Game", the sound changes correctly, but there's no change in the screen, still black. If I cycle through the TV inputs back to the start, it can come to life, but not always.

If I change the Sky channel, the sound changes but no change to the picture.

Plugging a blu-ray player directly into the telly works as expected.

Perhaps it's related, whever I try to play a blu-ray disc through the amp, 99% of the time it fails with a "U73" error. I've tried changing the HDMI lead between the player and the amp, but there's no change.

Please help because it's like being in the olden days with the telly having to warm up and, with a toddler who desperately wants to watch noddy but can't isn't easy.

Cheers,

Andy

Paul.

I assume you don't get the U73 error code if you plug directly in to the tv? It sounds like your HDMI board has gone, unfortunately relatively common on X05 Onkyo receivers :(

You could try doing a factory reset on the Amp?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Correct, I only get the error when going via the amp.

What can I do about replacing the board? Or, is it not worth the cost/effort? If that's the case, what would be a suitable successor to the 705?

Factory reset - I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Paul.

You amp is probably worth £150-200 (if lucky) second hand, so I would doubt it is a worthwhile repair unfortunately. The Onk 709 is on Richer Sounds for £550, tat should be ideal? The 609 is only £399 though, id weigh up the difference.

A

Anonymous

Cripes, :(

I remember when I purchased the 705 (over the 605) I wanted THX certification but it seems that the 609 has that too - just trying to determine the differences to see which is right for me.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've taken a look and they look a little intimidating - I've got no problem soldering, but don't fancy damaging the unit or worse, the mains circuit or myself.

I might have to see if any friends of mine are up to a spot of soldering :)

Thanks for the tip though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts