Onkyo 606 over the Sony 2400E: why?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been to several shops in the past week as many have recommended me the Onkyo AV amp over the more expensive Sony.

So far I haven't been able to listen to either, so I am only basing my 'judgement' on others' like WHF reviews and this forum for a start. I was kinda decided on the 2400E.

I am finding it nearly suspicious that the Onkyo's are discounted everywhere and always get recommended. Do you they that many containers to offload over Christmas or what?

What's your opinion on that one? Or it the 606 really a better AV receiver than the 2400E?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Ive heard both but not on the same day or through the same speakers so couldnt tell you which is better but what i can tell you is that there both superb for the money i dont think you'd regret either

A

Anonymous

I wonder about this too given the great reviews of the new Sony and Yamaha amps.

Strangely, I am also advised by sales assistants 606 is clearly better.....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well to be fair, the reviews are only the WHF team's opinion - maybe those people really do think it's better. Best way to find out for you is to listen to them both of course - my understanding is, the Onkyo is a bit brutish making blockbuster films sound spectacular, but it lacks subtlety in other areas. Also, I think the Sony is a more musical amp so depends if this is important to you or not as well.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Well to be fair, the reviews are only the WHF team's opinion - maybe those people really do think it's better. Best way to find out for you is to listen to them both of course - my understanding is, the Onkyo is a bit brutish making blockbuster films sound spectacular, but it lacks subtlety in other areas. Also, I think the Sony is a more musical amp so depends if this is important to you or not as well.

The "musicality" of the Sony is (very) important to me as the setup will be used for music about 30-40% of the time, the rest will be movies.

What I find puzzling is how much the Onkyo kit gets discounted atm, left right and centre, and pretty much always comes first in the shortlist of AV amps that shops recommend me etc...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I don't find anything puzzling about retailers trying hard to shift stock: I'd guess there's some good sales incentives going around for a range of kit at this precise economic juncture!

There's nothing wrong with the Onkyos - far from it; they're surround receivers with a thrilling listen and bags of grunt. It's just that several rival manufacturers have spent a year studying Onkyo's stunning 2007 success and come out with equally exciting AV amps that - in the best cases - also offer a level of extra refinement and musicality the 2008 Onks can't quite match.

Still should very much be in the audition mix - but take your own discs (movies and music) and make up your own mind.

A

Anonymous

It seems you are more interested in complaining at being able to buy a good unit as a good price. ÿThere is ÿcredit crunch going on and retailers are clearly in need of selling decent amps and speakers.

I'd listen to the advice of the others here, including the What HiFi editor, listen to them both and stop complaining. ÿI'm sure you could find a retailer to sell you an Onkyo or Sony at above the current retail price.ÿ

A

Anonymous

jock_scott70:

It seems you are more interested in complaining at being able to buy a good unit as a good price. There is credit crunch going on and retailers are clearly in need of selling decent amps and speakers.

I'd listen to the advice of the others here, including the What HiFi editor, listen to them both and stop complaining. I'm sure you could find a retailer to sell you an Onkyo or Sony at above the current retail price.

I am not complaining. I just find it 'interesting' how ALL the Onkyo amps get greatly discounted atm EVERYWHERE. Unlike other kit like Denon, Yams or Sony. They're clearly pushed forward which means only one thing, Onkyo have got a lot of stock to ***. Hey, if that drives the price down, as a consumer I'm not going to complain, am I? There's a credit crunch out there apparently.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

If you take a look at the forums on a rival site to this, you'll see that Onkyo has by far the largest market share in amps. ÿCould be that the retailers you are going in are big Onkyo fans, or maybe Denon, Yamaha and Sony simply didn't bring enough stock in for Christmas. ÿLet's face it, it wouldn't be the first time.

If all the Onkyo's are discounted there must be a great promotion - let's you upgrade those speakers and cables for no extra cost (almost) ÿ

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Also, how much are you being offered to buy the Onkyo amp at? Because the Denon 1909 is also available at less than £300 now. Which makes it look like the only one not being discounted is the Yamaha. The WHF Award winner.
Do you think there might be a connection?!

TRENDING THREADS