Onkyo 605 sound choices

fitzyboy2000

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I have my dvd player and sky+ connected to the amp via hdmi, when playing dvd's i am only able to get DTS as my 5.1 sound, how do I access the other sound fields that the receiver offers?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You don't say which DVD player you have and you may have to go into some menu on the player to select alternate outputs?

You can also choose which sound to output from within the actual film menu if more than one sound format has been encoded on the disc.

Sky+ doesn't have an HDMI output and only outputs the digital sound through an optical output.

SKY HD has an HDMI output which will output digital signals.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cofnchtr"]Hi,

SKY HD has an HDMI output which will output digital signals.[/quote]

Although this is only stereo - for surround you still need the optical digital connection.

fitzyboy2000

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
So am I correct in saying that the sound from the dvd tells the amp if it's dts or dolby digital? Another one, on most films I view it normally is dts with neo6 on the amp is this still a good option for 5.1 surround? And do I need to changed the output to pcm or bitsream on the dvd......still a bit confused..

Thanks Guys....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Neo:6 would suggest it's getting two-channel and processing it to create surround, just like Pro-LogicII/IIx does with stereo material.Neo:6 is, in very general terms, the DTS version of PLII/IIx - in other words it's creating sound, not decoding it.

That would be fine from stereo TV on Sky - after all, stereo is all you're getting over the HDMI - but not for DTS or DD 5.1 soundtracks on DVD or Sky Movies.

You can change this mode by pressing the surround button on the Onkyo remote, and the receiver should remember the last setting you chose. Personally, I use PLIIx Music for most stereo TV viewing, as I find it gives the most natural results.

You should be outputting bitstream from the player - let me know what the player is and I'll do some hunting.

fitzyboy2000

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew, it is a Samsung DVD HD-950, not a great model but upscales to 1080i.....
So because im using hdmi from dvd to amp I am only getting stereo sound then the amp is converting to 5.1 surround, if I use optical I am getting digital????

Thanks for ur help.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts