Onkyo 605 - Does it support SPDIF?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Does the Onkyo 605 SR support SPDIF?

It has optical input but I'm unsure as to the spec and so whether or not it will handshake SPDIF.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not sure I understand the question, but yes the Onkyo will accept digital inputs from CD players, DVD players, digital radios, games consoles, etc..

Do you have a specific problem in mind...?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:Yes, spdif is really a PC term and applies to both optical (toslink) and digital coax connections.

Not really a PC term - it means Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format, and was introduced with some of the first CD players.

Early players had mysterious extra sockets - well, we'd never seen a TOSLink optical out before. I remember being asked at the time whether anyone removing the plug so the red light shone out would set fire to the wall behind the player with the laser!

Anyway, these sockets, we were told at the time, would let you read the titles of the songs playing when used with a special black box connected to your TV. Not sure that magic black box ever happened...

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I know that but everyone refers to optical and digi-coax separately and you rarely hear spdif unless people are talking about soundcards or laptops.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:I know that but everyone refers to optical and digi-coax separately and you rarely hear spdif unless people are talking about soundcards or laptops.

I stand corrected.
emotion-40.gif

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Not sure I understand the question, but yes the Onkyo will accept digital inputs from CD players, DVD players, digital radios, games consoles, etc..

Do you have a specific problem in mind...?

Hi Andrew,

Given the complexity, you might regret asking that!

Yes. I'm trying to find a way of getting Sound from my Freesat HDR box to my Onkyo 605 SR receiver without being forced to run the HDMI to it because I don't want to be forced to have it switched on all the time because of the electricity it uses and because I don't want cinema sound to be permanently on with normal tv.

I currently have my Freesat HDR connect direct to my Pioneer 428XD Kuro into Input 3 via HDMI. However, no matter what I try, I cannot get sound out of the Pioneer back to the Onkyo through the Pioneer to Onkyo QED Optical cable I already have fitted and that I currently use for films on tv - it outputs sound perfectly well with tv, but is silent with Freesat on input 3.

The Freesat manual, suggests with HDMI you should connect direct to the tv but makes no mention of using an AV set up.

It does however, mention an AV setup where HDMI to scart conversion is used on a tv without HDMI in and here it suggests using HDMI out of the HDR to the tvs scart via a convertor plug then an optical cable from the HDR to the receiver although it specifically describes it as Sony SPIDF rather than straight optical.

I wondering therefore, if a HDMI to the Pioneer's HDMI port will work if combined with a 2nd optical cable from the HDR to the receiver so I can take or leave the cinema sound as I please. The only thing is, the Onkyo manual doesn't state if its supports SPIDF and when I googled it, it said it was a specific protocol that actually requires a handshake from the equipment in order to work! I didn't want to buy a QED optical cable only to find it wouldn't work!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The Freesat boxes can bitstream audio over optical or HDMI, so if you want to use the TV speakers for quiet viewing, then connect direct to display via HDMI and use optical to the amp for audio. If you connect HDMI via the amp, you have to have the amp on to watch it as HDMI is an active connection. The Yamaha Z11 amp (that I know of) supports HDMI passthrough in standby and by all accounts it still uses up a fair few watts. It costs £4k plus though!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
All CD players, DVD players, TVs, set-top boxes etc use S/PDIF - it's the standard for digital audio in the standard definition sector, though the conventional optical/electrical connections don't have enough bandwidth (ie data throughput capacity) to handle Dolby HD/DTS HD and so on.

I think your problem is a fairly common one with TVs - what's available from the TV set's digital output is only the digital feed from the internal Freeview tuner. In other words, it can't loop a signal coming in through an external input (such as your set-top box) out via the digital output.

So yes, the answer is an extra optical connection direct to from the Freesat box to the receiver. It'll work fine.

Sometimes too much Googlage can make simple things seem much more complex than they are...
emotion-5.gif

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew.

Another thing occurred to me when reading your reply about the bandwidth problems, although I think Freesat is DD only, and that wsa would a spliiter box (unswitched) plugged into ther HDR work with 2 HDMI's - one to the Pioneer and One to the Onkyo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts