Onkyo 515DAB vs Denon 37DAB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am enjoying my Onkyo with Tannoy Fi customs and some RS 2.5 copper shielded cable. It all works very well but I cannot pretend that the sound is 'Hi-Fidelity' - at least as I remember it from my 30 years with a NAD set-up. Nowadays, I mostly listen to radio, but do find listening to my CDs [which are all of classical music] a touch disppointing, especially in 'difficult pieces' with full orchestra which sounds to me to be slightly 'muddied' in the mid-range, and particularly sharp when brass in involved. I know that very few will have listened to the Denon 37DAB in direct comparison to the Onkyo, but I wondered whether What HiFi staffers could let me know if the Denon would provide a definite improvement or 'upgrade' over the Onkyo, or whether I should opt for the Arcam Mini to hear a very definite improvement in sonic performance. I very much like and need the small form factor, so require an 'all-in-one' solution.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well we feel the Denon system unit is better than the Onkyo, but i'd describe it as an incremental upgrade, not a major one - for that, i'd go with the Arcam Solo Mini, as you've suggested.

However, have you also considered lower-cost enhancements to your Onkyo? You've got some excellent speakers, but are they on on stands or isolating supports? That could possibly help the congested midrange, as could a change in cable. Worth a try, especially if you can borrow some stands/supports/cable from a friend/friendly retailer.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts