One for the boys at CES.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

I realise some of their product could hardly be regarded as the cutting-edge in Hi-Fi,but i'd be grateful to know if you've stumbled upon McIntosh's new CD/SACD player & range of pre. & power-amp's yet? Which,i understand,are to be unveiled at CES.

If you haven't yet.Would you know approx. how long it will be before we can expect to hear about them?

I'd be interested know how much they differ in features & functionality from the current products they are intended to supplant.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Andy?...Andrew?

I realise McIntosh Labs gear doesn't feature in WHF?'s pages(no criticism implied) but,even so,i'd be grateful to know the latest news you've learned about McIntosh's newly released component line-up,while you've been in Las Vegas,as i understand they're due to be unveiled at CES.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Babur72:Andrew?

I'm here, not there.

But as far as I can see, all Binghamton's finest has announced at the show is a new power amp, a forthcoming website redesign, a McIntosh clock for dealers and enthusiasts and an app to make your iPhone or iPad look like it was made by Mc, not Mac.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Am I allowed to reply, being a girl?
emotion-4.gif

McIntosh has a press briefing tomorrow morning (Saturday breakfast meeting - hurrah!) - should find out more then.

But yes, its main news released to date is about the AP1 Audio Player iPhone/iPad app.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
My Apologies Andrew.I naturally assumed that you would have tagged along with Andy & also be able to preview the gear we can expect to be released over the following year.

I saw the C48 & C50 stereo pre-amp's & MC452 & MC302 stereo power-amp's pictured on Jordan Acoustics website.Though there's a scarcity of accompanying technical information regarding these new amp's.

Rumour has it that an announcement regarding the replacements for/upgrade of the C1000 pre-amp. & MC501 power-amp. is imminent.

Thanks for replying & humouring me anyway.

Here's hoping Andy Clough will reveal all in due course.

BABUR.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Am I allowed to reply, being a girl?
emotion-4.gif

McIntosh has a press briefing tomorrow morning (Saturday breakfast meeting - hurrah!) - should find out more then.

But yes, its main news released to date is about the AP1 Audio Player iPhone/iPad app.

Awesome!

Looking forward to hearing more in detail tomorrow then.

Thanks Clare.

Regards.

BABUR.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Babur72:I naturally assumed that you would have tagged along with Andy

Don't do 'tagging along'...

Babur72:Rumour has it that an announcement regarding the replacements for/upgrade of the C1000 pre-amp. & MC501 power-amp. is imminent.

"The new MC601 Monoblock Amplifier, which replaces McIntosh's hugely popular MC501 amplifier, will ship in January of 2011. It joins the company's new Models MC302 and MC452 in the McIntosh amplifier lineup, all with new engineering advances and extended functionality.

"Distinguished by its rock-solid, new larger sized chassis of mirror polished stainless steel, the MC601 features the premium cosmetic design that has always distinguished McIntosh components, including a backlit glass faceplate.

"The newly designed 8-inch wide True Wattmeter, featuring elegant "McIntosh Blue" LED lighting, is a special larger size last used by McIntosh on its acclaimed MC1000 amplifier. The MC601's custom machined and anodized aluminum trim handles complete the iconic McIntosh look and styling. Among its many leading- edge feature capabilities is Power Guard, a McIntosh circuit innovation that maximizes sound quality at high power levels.

"Additionally, the unit's advanced "Sentry Monitor" feature provides continuous short circuit protection of the amplifier and connected loudspeakers.

"In addition to its higher power rating of 600 watts, the MC601 features Thermal Track output transistors that allow for cooler, more efficient operation. Other new features that add to the MC601's performance capabilities and make it ideally suited for use in today's digital universe are specially designed McIntosh speaker binding posts, Quad Balanced circuit design for highest audio performance, and input and output jacks that allow bi or tri-amping with multiple MC601s.

"Notably, the MC601's extraordinary, distortion-canceling, quad-differential design consists of two complete amplifier circuits, whose outputs are combined in the unique McIntosh-crafted autoformers.

"Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005% maximum from 250 milliwatts to rated 600 watt mono power output. MC601 delivers absolute transparency and musical accuracy into speaker loads of 2, 4, or 8-Ohms"

There's also a press release from ESS, maker of the Sabre32 DAC used in the new McIntosh player, but as yet no official release from McIntosh itself.

The ESS release says:

"ESS Technology, a leading provider of high performance audio/video solutions, today announced that its Sabre32 Reference eight-channel 32-bit audio D/A converter (ES9018) has been shipping in McIntosh Laboratory's new flagship MCD1100 SACD/CD/USB Player (MSRP: $10,000).

"ESS's Sabre32 Reference DAC enables the MCD1100 to reproduce music with unrivaled fidelity and purity that will surpass the expectations of even the most discriminating audio enthusiasts.

"The MCD1100, built on a rigid aluminum die-cast mechanism base with aluminum die-cast tray and a 3D front panel, is a stereo player supporting SACD, Hybrid SACD, CD, MP3 and WMA discs. Both balanced and unbalanced outputs with fixed or variable volume are provided, together with a low-impendence headphone output. The MCD1100 can also be used as standalone D/A converter through its coaxial, optical, XLR, BNC as well as USB digital audio inputs.

"The ES9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC in the MCD1100 outperforms conventional sigma-delta (S?) DACs by incorporating innovative patented circuits to deliver spectacular music with an unsurpassed sound stage, with up to 135dB dynamic range and 0.0001% (-120dB) total harmonic distortion, and free from clock jitter common in digital audio systems.

"The patented circuits include the 32-bit HyperStreamT modulator, capable of 100% modulation and unconditional stability, the RevolverT Dynamic Element Matching which ensures the highest performance over an extremely wide audio dynamic range, and a Time Domain Jitter Eliminator to remove the digital jitter that causes distortion.

" 'The MCD1100 sets a new standard for digital source equipment by extending McIntosh's superlative performance from compact discs to audio downloads through the addition of the USB digital audio input,' said Charlie Randall, President of McIntosh. 'ESS's Sabre32 Reference DAC enables the MCD1100 to reproduce music with unrivaled fidelity and purity that will surpass the expectations of even the most discriminating audio enthusiasts.' "

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Mmmm...Yummmy!

...I can't stop drooling!

Can't wait to have the opportunity to hear them for myself.

EDIT: And partially shuddering at the thought of how much the asking price for the MC601's will be(considering the MC501's were 11 grand band-new)...Ah,well.I could always re-mortgage the house.

Nice one Andrew.

Cheers.

Regards.

BABUR.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
McIntosh C50 USB Preamplifier
Price: $6,500

"With a dedicated Apple Mac/Windows USB input audio input the new McIntosh C50 preamplifier allows you to directly connect a computer to your McIntosh system using a simple USB connection. This allows you to play back the music from your Apple iTunes or Windows Media directly into your McIntosh system. Using Apple and iTunes, you can even pick and play your music from your iPhone!

"The McIntosh C50 also has four high performance digital audio inputs so you can connect your cable tv, dvd player, or Airport Express/Sonos/Logitech to send music wirelessly to your McIntosh system.

"Rounding out, the McIntosh C50 is also at its a heart a world class McIntosh high performance preamplifier with twin moving coil/moving magnet phono sections, a home theater bypass, and six line level stereo analog inputs. To adjust all of this to perfection the C50 also has a five band programmable equalizer.

"The C50 has the same circuit as the C48, but also includes an eight band equalizer, a processor loop, and output level meters.

McIntosh C50 USB Preamplifier Features

New 3D stainless steel chassis design

Dedicated Apple Mac / Windows USB input with control.

Four high performance stereo digital audio inputs and six stereo analog inputs.

Eight band programmable equalizer.

Home theater pass through.

Processor Loop.

Output Meters.

Currently supports 24/48 USB data rates and will support 24/96 via an update in the coming months.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Bit surprised to learn that the C50's digital inputs only support a maximum resolution of 24/96.From the scant info. available on t'internet i understood that the C50's digital converters & USB inputs would support the asychronous up-sampling of digital data to 32bit/192kHz(?).

Mind you.I'd be interested to know where you're gettin' hold of all this data from.

Certainly spared me the effort & whet my appetite for the widely anticipated McIntosh announcement tomorrow.

Thanks again Andrew.

Regards.

BABUR.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Babur72:Mind you.I'd be interested to know where you're gettin' hold of all this data from.

Y'see, there's this thing called the internet...

LoL's!...Allright Andrew,i guess i was asking for that one.

More specifically,which websites did you obtain this info. from.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Found these pics. of the new McIntosh MC601

LINK REMOVED - House Rules

McIntosh's new model looks a big,bewitchingly buxom beauty.

Now gi's us a gander at ya binding posts pet..Schwing!

Regards.

BABUR.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Babur72:McIntosh's new model looks a big,bewitchingly buxom beauty.

You so need to get out more...

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Babur72:McIntosh's new model looks a big,bewitchingly buxom beauty.

You so need to get out more...

emotion-10.gif
...LoL's!

You're not wrong chap.

In my defence,i've been recuperating since early last week from a flu-like viral infection.Which might(at least partially) explain why i'm starting to get a bit strir-crazy
emotion-4.gif
...LoL's!

BTW.Just for future reference.Which house rule did i contravene when i attached the link in the preceding post?

Thanks.

Clare Newsome:Though I am working on a report on the new McIntosh kit right now....

Very much looking forward to it Clare.

Appreciate all WHF? staff's efforts in keeping us informed about the comings & goings in Las Vegas with your CES blogs & news updates.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.