ONE FOR ALL SV1740 Wireless Digital Audio Sender

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Ok I'm on holiday from my usual What HIFI home cinema + HIFI forums and I'm not at all au fait with WIFI stuff ....so be kind please! ..

....All I want to be able to do is play any of my music tracks (inc FLAC, WAV as well as mp3's) wirelessly from my pc to my Onkyo receiver - I'm not bothered about remote controls or state of the art digital displays and my pc is about 16 feet from my receiver (my PC's in a conservatory linked to the main lounge which contains my other gear) I've spotted this .. ONE FOR ALL SV1740 Wireless Digital Audio Sender which seems to do all I want it to do for less than £60 ...anyone have one? ..heard one? .

.....any advice greatfully accepted!.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Erm' .....having just posted the above query I've noted Richer Sounds are selling these off in some of their stores for £19.95 !!!! ....so I guess they are either A. ...crap B ...a bargain ?

But ...they do sell the Onkyo UWL 1 for £50 (which I've never seen before) I'd guess the Onkyo would be a far more reliable product (love my 875!) any ideas folks?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I would be interested to know how well the wifi worked with regard to flac and .wav files. All my experiments had problems despite me having line of sight, using 802.11g,wireless bridge, large antennas and a strong signal.I even kept changing the wifi router transmission channel to avoid interference with any neighbour's wifi networks.Despite all this I had constant re buffering . In the end I had to opt for an Ethernet link which now works a treat.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply ...apologies for being a bit of a newbie with wifi stuff but does that mean your ethernet connection is wired? ...and if so has anybody had a trouble free experience with a low cost "simple" wire free pc to hifi product? (ie not a soundbridge or similar)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Yes it means wired. If you don't want to mess around with wifi setting then you should buy sonos, but this is the most expensive choice, about 1000 usd for 2 zone player+ 1 remote. the advantage is you can can broadcast your pc streaming to more room with different song each.

maybe the cheaper (i dont know the price) solution is using bardUSB to transmit your pc streaming via usb and a receiver in your onkyo. you cannot broadcast it to other room though.

or maybe you can try your luck setting up netgear wpnt834 (WIFI router-they say it's fastest in short to medium range) to use with

1. squeezebox 299usd (the latest roku version's does'nt well designed)

2. unofficial sonos setup using 1 zoneplayer +1 remote around 700usd used with the wifi router.

there are other cheap digital music streamer here form WHF news coupke of days ago, i suppose.

good luck

haider

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Just to let you know, the Bard USB can transmit to as many rooms as you like within range. This can be upto 50m line of sight or normally 20 to 30m in a house.

I have it plugged into my PC upstairs transmitting to my system downstairs which is about 10m. I also have a Bard amplifier in another room which receives teh same signal.

The starter system is about 240quid.

www.sonneteer.co.uk/bard

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify, Haider works for Sonneteer - Ed.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...Well I bought the Onkyo UWL-1 and it works a treat ........at first it rebuffered like mad and I thought I was going to have the same problems mentioned by other posters but now after a bit of tweaking (mainly ensuring the USB dongle isn't hidden behind the PC) ..no probs at all!

Ok it doesn't have the ability to do anything other than stream audio from my pc to my main HIFI (no read out display or anything similar) but cue up any number of tracks on Windows Media Player or (for FLAC files) Winamp and It'll play for hours + hours + hours ...I have approx 14.000 tracks on my PC so it suits my purposes fine (esp for £49.50p!)

For critical listening it obviously does'nt match up to my CD or vinyl set up (mp3's never will) but for parties or being "Mr DJ" for the kids it does what it says on the box.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jetjohnson"]...For critical listening it obviously does'nt match up to my CD or vinyl set up (mp3's never will) but for parties or being "Mr DJ" for the kids it does what it says on the box.[/quote]

Agree.. Mp3 is inferior to cd. but FLAC is equal.

Cheers to Mr DJ
emotion-22.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi there, just thought you might be able to help.. I've owned 2 onkyo uwl-1's over the the past couple of months, having returned the first one for problems my second one is now experiencing. I'm probably going to give up and get an ipod and arcam dock in the new year, unless I can resolve the problems. When it works it's brilliant and I'd recommend it to anyone, but when it doesn't.. The first problem is that when I plug in the USB dongle in, I have to go to sound and audio devices and manually select c-media usb and apply, otherwise the sound comes out the laptop speakers, and occasionally this happens even with the usb selected. I suspect this is a problem with windows xp, rather than the dongle but it's hard to tell. In the manual it says any usb audio device automatically has priority over the laptops' speakers but this isn't my experience. The other problem which is more annoying is that sometimes when I'm listening to music it starts cutting out for a second or two every few seconds so it becomes unlistenable. I suspect this is the rebuffering you mentioned which I don't really understand. The dongle and receiver are in view of each other in the same room if that helps. Any ideas ? Cheers

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi .....I have the same situation re having to select the audio manually but I guess that can be a help rather than a hinderance as it gives you the option of having your files played through your hifi or your pc speakers .....as I mentioned in my post I did have re-buffering problems at first when the sound dropped out constantly.

How did I remedy it? Well I just tried a few things such as .....I took the dongle out of it's socket and replaced it back in until it relit ...I unplgged the mains lead from the Onkyo's reciever and placed that back in again whilst also ensuring the dongle was placed on the end of a usb extension cable and is forward facing into the room rather than left sticking out of the back of my PC (although being in view isn't mentioned in the instructions)
Leaving the UWL receiver on for a few minutes before using it seems to work as well .....as is checking the various push button channel settings ....I still have the occasional drop out but very few compared to when I first purchased it.

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the reply. Good to hear it's tempremental and not just me being stupid! I get the impression all wifi stuff, unless you spend serious money, like on a sonos is not particularly reliable. I've got it working ok again, and usually use it with itunes which is fine. Although I've just tried to listen to BBC radio 'listen again', and it just came out of the speakers. No great shakes though, I'll probably hang onto it as it was so cheap, and good when it works.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts