One box audio - changing direction.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm contemplating reducing the box count of my system, and go to a one - box system. I've looked at, but not auditioned, the Ruark R4i and the Marantz MCR603 Melody Media, and had a quick listen to a Bose Wave system - not a patch on my present system, as expected. The Ruark, as with the Bose, has it's own speakers, which would be good if they came fairly close to my present system, but would have to consider small speakers. Perhaps three hours isn't a long enough listen, but the Bose sounded overly bassy, with muddied sound. Should I persevere a bit longer?

I don't listen to loud music - rarely above 10 o'clock on my NAC72 - so outright power isn't necessary, to a variety of music, classical, Floyd, Paul Simon, Jazz, pop, rock, big band, etc. Most listening is via my phones.

I'd need an input for my Rega record player, CD player (streaming music is not for me, thanks), FM, DAB, possibly internet radio, (we seldom listen to radio but it would be good to have it). I don't have an i-pod, so no input essential. I also feed the TV through it, for movies and music shows.

I'd love to be able to afford a Uniti, and might be able to push the budget to a used unit, but would like some ideas where else to look, please. The Denon Ceol looks interesting too, but I gather that the Marantz is thought to be better?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked at a Myryad Mi?

FM, DAB, CD, amp, line inputs, digital inputs, iPod connection, large colour display ...

Around £700 (if you look around)

myryad-mi.jpg

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Your budget would be nice to know. ;)

A nice minimal box solution would be Audiolab 8200CDQ coupled with a pair of Dynaudio 110A's.

This will give you the ability to use your current TT, the system has a CD player, analogue and digital inputs and a preamp with RCA and XLR connectivity.

Another option would be to buy the AVI ADM9s and use the TV as a tuner if required. Your existing CD player would be used and the TT should connect to the ADM9s.

I have been lazy with the links and the current prices are probably out by some degree.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, Overdose. On the assumption that I sell my CDP, pre/power and headphone amps, and tuner, I think they should realise about £800 - ish? As it stands, if you've seen my details, I have a reasonably decent system, but would like to move to as few boxes as I can, without compromising the sound too much. The Myryad looks interesting, and there's also the Arcam solo mini. I have some HD downloads on my laptop, which could be fed via my Fiio DAC, but, as I say, I don't want to get into streaming from a computer; I'd also need a new phono amp, wouldn't I?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
Thanks, Overdose. On the assumption that I sell my CDP, pre/power and headphone amps, and tuner, I think they should realise about £800 - ish? As it stands, if you've seen my details, I have a reasonably decent system, but would like to move to as few boxes as I can, without compromising the sound too much. The Myryad looks interesting, and there's also the Arcam solo mini. I have some HD downloads on my laptop, which could be fed via my Fiio DAC, but, as I say, I don't want to get into streaming from a computer; I'd also need a new phono amp, wouldn't I?

That, you would need to ask the manufacturers' customer support, or dedicated forums. I have seen people stating that they were connecting directly to the ADMs.

To minimise your box count you will need to combine functions into one or two products, different soutions exist here, but integrated amps in all in one systems will be limited in ability (IMO), so I'd avoid a unit with internal integrated amplification and leave that to active speakers. Pro audio is an option here, but they don't neccessarily blend in to a home environment.

It depends on where you are, but there a lots of AVI owners that would be only too happy for you to listen to their systems as a way of a demo, if you cannot get to hear them in a local store. The AVI forum would be a good place to start. For the other options, a local hifi store should be able to sit you down with a few different solutions.

First thing would be to decide what you really want and what sort of connections you need for your equipment that will be staying and taylor your choice from there.

T

the record spot

As usual I'll throw the Onkyo TX-8050 networked stereo receiver in to the ring here if the Marantz is also an option. Can't rate it highly enough if networking's your bag, likewise digital inputs (four) plus a USB input on the fascia.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Wow, thanks, guys. I knew I could rely on you all. My cup runneth over, and then some. I have more choices open than I expected. My original thoughts were to sell amps, CDP and tuner, but will now have to reconsider. But I can look forward to some auditioning, something I haven't done for a while.

Again, Thanks, guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts