Once & For all: Does the SKYHD box Upscale SDSKY Channels to 720p/1081i

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Sky HD box upscales SD content.

However, it's best to set it to output to 1080i, rather than AUTO, as you then get a steady native or upscaled feed to your TV/projector.

On AUTO, the changing in resolution between SD and HD content (which happens with adverts, too) can freak out your display. Some TVs, for example, can lose lock when this happens - the screen goes black before finding the picture again.

A

Anonymous

I too wanted to see if the SD pictures I receive could be upscaled when my Pioneer arrives. The end result was that there are boxes out there that will upscale to HD but prices start at £2K plus. Aimed at the (very) serious home cinema person. Not having Sky (i'm BT Vision) let alone Sky HD, I did a bit of research and apparantly all recent screens of reasonable reputation (Sony, Samsung, Panny etc) do a better job of upscaling than any upscaler you may place between the signal. I think Will H alluded to something along these lines.

Only with the older or naffer makes will adding a upscaling source (DVD/Freeview upscaler) likely to result in an improvement. Until Freesat (or whatever the BBC/ITV call their HD service) comes along I will have to make do with what I've got. It is not so much the £250 for the box, it is the £10 a month on top that would bug me.

A

Anonymous

Excatly my main bug bear: Fine...Don't mind the £250 for the box but not going to pay another £10.00 a month to SKY. Given I already pay £38 a month for the SD Sky Sports Package it's all becoming a bit of a rip off. I will be much happier if I didn't have the BBC channels at all on SKY so that I wouldn't have to also pay for the priviledge through my License Fee each year. I already pay £38 a month and feel I also should have to more to the BBC each year. Not exactly.......consumer choice playing here...is it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts