OLED Prices

As people don't tend to change their sets that frequently, I doubt many people have proper back to backs of sets over that period. Personally I'd be surprised of the differences were anything other than incremental - but how that adds up over four model years I don't know.

Mine was a 'last year's model' from RS.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gray

how much will they improve going forward 4 Years ?
I suppose manufacturers and many consumers would consider expanded smart functions to be an improvement.
I don't.
Picture quality is already better (in some cases a lot better) than what gets broadcasted to them.

The good news is that unlike with so much else, TV set inflation seems to work in reverse....years later you've effectively been getting better for less (as you've found - and good luck to you 👍).

We did similar a couple of years ago , with a 2021 model year LG. I think it is ‘Which?’ magazine who recommended looking at previous year models quite a while ago. As mentioned above, the changes are minor, year to year. As you found, the savings are huge.

The LG it replaced was made in 2011, and I recently gave that to a relative. It only needed a Chromecast stick to access the latest ‘smarts’, and otherwise it still looked v good. Not as super crisp or poppingly bright as the newer one, but very watchable with careful setting of picture levels.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Let see if the new range drops to half price after a year not that i will be buying another 1 for a good few years and am very happy with the picture.Will can they improve the picture?

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
iPlayer does a lot in 4k/HDR and it looks great, and many films can now be bought in 4k. No-one mentioned 8k. ITV a 'real' channel? Only in the sense that it exists...
yes a prpoer real channel been transmitting since the 60s unlike those internet channels only been transmitting (actually they dont transmit they are internet ) like the BBC1 .2 real channels

Reactions: Al ears
yes a prpoer real channel been transmitting since the 60s unlike those internet channels only been transmitting (actually they dont transmit they are internet ) like the BBC1 .2 real channels
I was referring to its content, which is (putting it politely) pretty lowbrow. No-one mentioned 3D, and unless you have an old TV it's not an option anyway.

4K isn't going away though, and watching sporting events and documentaries on iPlayer in 4k is transformative.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i compared my latest buy a Sony 10 year old against the 2023 TCL and surprise the only difference in quality of screen was on Amazon and Netflix on Sky generally it was exactly the same picture , note the audio on Sky on the Sony was slightly better. both using standard speakers ,fitted as sold . Only reason i got rid of the 2011 3D Panasonic Plasma 50 inch was the amount of money it cost to run it . (nice in the winter to warm up the room) nothing to do with the picture or the sounds coming out . So makes me think the only reason i need to replace my TV is when it goes wrong. (the Panasonic never did and still doing sterling service )
So all this thing about the latest wonder product from LG Sony Samsung etc etc makes me go cold . Why keep changing my TV for the sake of it ?? ( note have a collection of 600 DVDs some BluRays . even some VHS tapes ,which are collectable Michael Jackson ones and Star Trek (they never get played as the boxes are signed . by the original casting members of Star Trek and Next Generation . Won at two auctions online. I do understand why people change the TVs probably for the same reason why they keep changing new cars every 2/3 years . They want the latest gadgets on them or simply want to keep up with the Jones family next door and there new TV or new Electric car they just bought

There's no logic to what you are saying. Just because you see no difference between an old set and new cheapo TV doesn't mean that a good one wouldn't be a marked step up - it would be. If you want to believe that plasma is still the best screen tech (which you seem to) then go right ahead, but I'm afraid you'd be deluding yourself.

Azzuro

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
As a general rule with OLED (and all TVs for that matter), the best time to buy one is when it is about to be replaced by a new model - I would argue even more so for OLEDs which already have a high base in terms of image quality. The only possible exception was with the G series that had MLA - that was a decent leap forward in performance. However, if you are looking at say the LG C series....The C4 is likely only a marginal bump on the C3 which was a marginal bump on the C2 and so on. This is broadly true for most OLED and LCD manufacturers

For instance, the 83" C3 OLED is currently trading at a 30% discount to the pre-order price for the equivalent size C4 (similar discounts are likely at different sizes). Given that the new TVs will arrive in March.....probably March or April is the best time as the C3 is likely to be discounted further. That is at least my game plan.

Reactions: DougK1

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
we live in a very strange world here nearly everyone wants to beat their next door neighbour in something be it a car ( electric) or in this case a TV must have what ever . whether they can afford it or not (as the case may be. ( OLED vs QLED VS Micro TV etc etc) Now maybe the reverse is happening CRT TV you know the ones with a Tube There are some crazy prices ,in particular for Sony CRT s why ? It appears the gamers love them ( for classic games) yet they are only 625 lines with a SCART connection (if they are lucky) I did see a price that amazed me £300 for a brand new TV (from a warehouse ) It appears they been there for many years . So what gives ? would i buy one ? maybe as i still have my old VHS recorder (somewhere) but at those prices no way Jose . Just seen a 25 inch Panasonic for £195 on Ebay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts