Old v new vinyl.

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Sorry if this has been done before but what's everyone's thoughts on old vinyl compared to new 180g digitally remastered vinyl.

Is the new vinyl better on the turntables.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
No, if it's been digitally remastered, it's not analogue, I am not a fan of any remastered album, much prefer the actual album on release date but I have been buying records since the sixties, so in essence their is not much contemporary music I like, I suppose it depends on the type of music you like, I had a Genesis box set that was not Genesis, stuff was added that made it sound unrealistic, Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon is another that doesn't sound right, why not try and find an original album you like and compare it to a remastered one, can't lose much as I think a new album is about £30.00, but I would rather spend that on a mint original, depending on artist and rarity.

Again it's all going to depend on whether or not you've heard said music in a different format.

There were some dire pieces of vinyl produced during the oil embargo years purely because of the thickness of vinyl rather than the mastering

The idea that it needs remastering is that people perceive there was something lacking on the original recording.

If you really want to hear it in its original format the stick to the original pressings. Some are good and some are dire. Your choice. There can be no generalisation involved here. I have some classics remastered and they are light and day better than the originals, if you can indeed ever find them. Stick to the more well known producers and well known mastering engineers and you will not go far wrong. This and the additional thickness of the vinyl itself is going to promote the addition of vinyl as something that isn't going to warp instantly and will be a long-term playable bit of kit.

D

Deleted member 108165

Originals every time for me, remasters can't touch them. Vinyl will warp, regardless of thickness/weight, if not stored correctly... I found out the hard way!

DougK said:
Originals every time for me, remasters can't touch them. Vinyl will warp, regardless of thickness/weight, if not stored correctly... I found out the hard way!

Each to their own as usual. There have been some rubbish original pressing. Not many I agree but finding some in a playable state is another matter.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Go on the Steve Hoffman forum. They have lots of topics on vinyl pressings new and old on lots of various artists.
Will give you an idea what copies are worth investing in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts