Old hifi needs renewing..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ticktocktoddy

Jul 21, 2024
Visit site
All up and running now. Thanks everyone.
I have plenty of clean power from the Yamaha driving these very capable Wharfedales.
They look great in my livingroom.
The sound is not boomy as I feared. The bass is reassuringly there but balanced with the rest of the range. Oddly I still think a supplementary subwoofer could still be added, for music that needs the extra oomph.
Voices sound great and there is good separation between instruments. Drums sound great.
I am not asking or expecting too much though. I just want a reliable, good, decent tone.

I do have one niggle. Cymbals do not sound very good. I dont know if the tweeters will settle in over time.
It is also nice to have brand new QED cables.

Jasonovich

All up and running now. Thanks everyone.
I have plenty of clean power from the Yamaha driving these very capable Wharfedales.
They look great in my livingroom.
The sound is not boomy as I feared. The bass is reassuringly there but balanced with the rest of the range. Oddly I still think a supplementary subwoofer could still be added, for music that needs the extra oomph.
Voices sound great and there is good separation between instruments. Drums sound great.
I am not asking or expecting too much though. I just want a reliable, good, decent tone.

I do have one niggle. Cymbals do not sound very good. I dont know if the tweeters will settle in over time.
It is also nice to have brand new QED cables.
I believe there is some credence to burning in. I do know the QED cables, although transparent, can be a little bright.
I don't want to walk into another cable debate, there is a body of opinion who would argue that all cables sound same or similar.
There is no harm trying different cables, find one that has the the 'right tonality'.
The cables I'm using on my main system is Chord, also inexpensive ofc 16 AWG cables that work fine. No need to go to town but no harm in experimenting.

The Polish Krüger & Matz speaker cables I got from Amazon sound as good as the Chord and better value for money.
I'm using Audio Note cables for the diner-fi and for the bedroom-Fi, the excellent Danish cables from TODN, courtesy of AliExpress. All beautifully constructed. lots of detail, not too bright.

See link below for other suggestions :)

1722592884029.png
1722593308534.png
1722593445590.png

Below I got these for my Brother-in-law, it was a random purchase on Amazon but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and sound.

1722594171446.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts