old B&W 685 vs new MA BX2s with Rotel amp?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post, I have a Rotel RA-04 amp, and I’m looking for a new pair of standmounters around the £250 mark.

Given that the B&W 685s sell for around £260 on Ebay, and the all-conquering Monitor Audio BX2s for a similar price new, which do you think would be the better bet?

I’m tempted by the B&Ws, because everyone says how good they are with the amp, but then the second hand market has its obvious pitfalls. Added to which the BX2s are a ‘fresher’ model.

Obviously if I was going down the new route there’d be other models to try to, but I’ve set this pair up in opposition out of interest.

Cheers.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried these when first choosing a hifi new against new and actually prefered the detail of the monitor audio over the clout of the 685s. Bet you didn't expect that! You'll get closer to what the artists you listen to are after with the MABX2s I think but if you love to party and annoy neighbours the 685s might do the job for that.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Well not totally surprised; it's always nice to find a contrary view.

I like the sound of my ancient DM601s, but haven't ever really auditioned enough to know why. When I bought them, I listened to a pair of Mission 732's, which I hated, so it was pretty much an easy out. The Mission's just sounded flat and dull to me, like a giant pair of cheap headphones from the 80s.

I can't afford a pair of new 685s, but actually found someone on here with a good word to say about the 686s which surprised me – they seem to have been pretty widely panned otherwise. Perhaps I Should audition these if I can find them together somewhere.

On another note, someone paid £310 for a pair of 685s on Ebay last night; £325 inc delivery. This amazes me as Superfi were selling the 685s for £360 yesterday with their 10% off code.

I wonder if N&W will be updating the 600 series soon anyway, they've been around for a few years in their current guise now.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
But if you do want to go for the 685s, don't be too paranoid about buying second-hand.

The vast majority of people selling kit on ebay and the likes will be responsible, honest hifi lovers. Obviously avoid anything without good photos (ignore 'stock' photos or items from users such as "bargainbits" or "warehouseclearance", etc...), and seek reassurance from the seller. Maybe a bit tight, but I also ignore any ads with (very) bad spelling or grammar.

On ebay, for example, if you pay using Paypal (very easy to do if you haven't already) then you get extra protection should the product not be up to its description.

I lose count of how many bits of kit- particularly speakers- I have bought on ebay over the years, and I've never had one single problem. The items have always been up to spec. And with speakers, they are the least likely part of your system to go wrong- they'll go for donkey's years as long as they're not abused.

That said, the BX2s are pretty darn good...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts