old amp or new? (am sure some of you must have owned one)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Tricky to answer???

I have an old cyrus 2 amp from circa 1991. I was thinking of doing a cheap upgrade in a second room - to the 'best buy' Yamaha A-S500. Question is would this be better than the Cyrus? the cyrus was from memory about £300 20 years ago and I think was the second incarnation of that amp

Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Things always change, but do not necessarily improve.

Good 20 year old analogue equipment is still good, just 20 years old

Good 20 year old digital equipment is now outdated and would be bested by more modern equivalents at the same price point.

Work out what £300 from 20 years ago would be worth today and then that is likely to be your starting point to improve on the Cyrus.

Some guys on this forum use much older kit to very good effect by all accounts.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I had a Cyrus 2 (third generation) with a PSX. Very detailed, and great with acoustic stuff, but seriously lacking in bass. Without the PSX, it was even more bass-shy and brutally bright. I'd say the Yamaha may sacrifice a little of the vocal detail that the Cyrus gives you, but the fuller sound that it brings will more than make up for it. I'd go for it, and put the poor little Cyrus to bed

A

Anonymous

Thanks. yes it is very bright. Never lived up to my very high expectations of it, even 20 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts