OK, I think I need a new stylus.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK I'm in dispair and frustration.

I re-adusted the anti-skating weight on my Debut 2 to the 2nd groove (instead of the 3rd groove as shown in the manual). No difference, Floyd's DSOTM still sounds distorted on the last track.

Digging around on the internet it has occurred to me that I have never cleane my stylus. Like I say the TT was bought in 2002 era, the dust cover for the stylus was lost years ago and I've been removing dust with a toothbrush.

I really need some help here. Money is a bit tight at the moment, at least until early next year. So, I don't want to be forking out wads of cash on a new TT or a fancy new cartridge. I will stretch 40 - 50 quid to do some upgrades though. The debut 2 is exremely limited in its design as there is no tracking weight to adjust.

So, what are my choices?

A new stylus?

A new cartridge?

A new TT!?

I'm not going to play any more vinyl until I fix this problem, don't want to be damaging anything.

I've also noticed when I switch the TT on the motor seems to slip - i.e. the plate slips a bit before it gets up to speed. I probably need a new motor and belt too. Argh this damn TT!!!!

I hope someone can please, please help me with this! :)

Thanks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simplest answer is a new stylus and a new belt: Henley Designs will be able to advise on replacements.

However, be aware that if the stylus is damaged there is a possibility some of your records have been damaged by it, and changing to a new stylus may reveal the extent of the damage.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your reply and the straightforward response!

It looks like I need to fork out 58 quid for a new stylus and belt. I may as well just bite the bullet and get them.

I'm really disapointed in myself: I hope my records are not damaged too much.

Is the belt/stylus easy to replace?

Thanks again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Stylus assembly should just pull out from the cartridge body, and then you push in the replacement; belt change is a simple matter of lifting off the main platter, removing the old belt from the sub-platter/hub underneath, running the new one round the hub and motor pulley, and replacing the main platter.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

My new stylus and belt came today which I've fitted. I opted for OM10 rather than the OM5e.

There's a huge difference in sound!

First there's the detail, and the tightness of the sound compared to the old stylus. The whole thing sounds much clearer and more together, if that makes sense.

There's still slight siblance on some records, particularly clashing symbols. Could just be the recordings/weakness of the 5e cartridge, I hope.

There is something worrying me though: just tried out my new copy of 'in the court of the Crimson King' by King Crimson (200g reissue) and there is a 'clunking' sound half way through the play. Is this my stylus or a dodgy record? Should I be returning this record!?

Thanks again.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for the ignorance but what is the 'anti-skating weight' thingy in lay-mans terms ... my wife (before we got married even) bought a cracking Sony system a wean of years ago and it was always kept safe (mostly stored in a cupboard except the few times I re-lived the 80's electronic/new wave dance records) and I always wondered ... what is this anti-skating ?

A

Anonymous

No idea really: it's basically a weight on a string that hangs loosely on the back of the tone arm...

A

Anonymous

OK, the clunking noise has come back. Just put another record on and the sound came on right at the end, when the stylus was going on to the part at the end of the record that doesn't play.

The sound is like a hollowed grinding/clunking noise. It didn't come on during play (although it may have on the last record a couple of times) but most evident at the end of the record.

Seriously worried what this could be.

A

Anonymous

hi

Just to report: I've solved the problem I was having! It turned out the anti skating weight was vibrating and bouncing off the arm holding it. I think this was causing all the vibrating noises I was getting. I was fiddling on with it the other day, but I've put it back to the way it was and played 3 records back to back and heard nothing but crystal clear clarity! :)

Also regarding the siblance: the King Crimson also came with an MP3 copy. The siblance is way, way worse on there than the vinyl. So in that particular instance it must be the old recording and the old analogue mics they used.

Just blasted some Kate Bush and no distortion or siblance whatsoever, so that's a good test I thought :)

Thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts