Ohhhhh noooo, not another mains cable question....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And do any of these people realise how much of the price of a cable is taken by the retailer for doing little more than handing it over and swiping a credit card? Cables, like all accessory items, are traditionally high margin, to the point where a retailer may make more money on a £100 cable buy than a £500 AV receiver purchase.

So let's not be too hasty in denouncing the cable manufacturers as evil...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Do you honestly think that a Patek costing £800k uses materials costing 26,667 times more than a Timex? I suggest you look up the cost components of niche products. £1,000 marketing to an audience of 50 people is £20 per person. That same £1,000 marketing to an audience of 1,000 people is £1 per person. And that can be said about many overheads. Get a grip man.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

Do you honestly think that a Patek costing £800k uses materials costing 26,667 times more than a Timex? I suggest you look up the cost components of niche products. £1,000 marketing to an audience of 50 people is £20 per person. That same £1,000 marketing to an audience of 1,000 people is £1 per person. And that can be said about many overheads. Get a grip man.

Hey! ... I have a 14k solid gold Patek Phillipe and an Omega 18k solid gold 1960's Constellation ... don't compare watches to hifi .or cables .. totally different scenario

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Where's Ken Kessler when you need him...?

emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
georgejack:JoelSim:
Do you honestly think that a Patek costing £800k uses materials costing 26,667 times more than a Timex?

No, do you own one, or are you talking M&S bras again?

Anyway, the Patek is constructed of expensive materials and crafted as if it was a piece of art, as you may be aware art is expensive, although it does it's main function of telling time no better or more refined or accurate than a timex.

A cable consists of copper, copper is copper, it's cheap, pliable and easily worked with. Teflon costs nothing, polyurethane costs nothing, construction costs are minimal. so if you're not paying for materials/scientists/construction/marketing/distribution what are you paying for? art, I think not.

Thanks for telling me to get a grip, very mature.

Andrew Everard put it better in his post below.

This is a pointless debate when all you can do is stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that you know what you're talking about.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
georgejack:

A cable consists of copper, copper is copper, it's cheap, pliable and easily worked with.

Copper isnt copper at all. Theres are many different variants of copper, as there are silver and many other metals/alloys

Getting true purity (As as good as can be) costs money. DCT treatment makes quite a difference to the properties too (EASILY visable through a decent enough microscope)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Oh, that's it - go off and play with your posh friends and see what happens
emotion-4.gif

Yes, just don't invite Ken Kessler on!

I had the pleasure of reading his book. Now that was really boring.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
The question is whether the "best" (subjective I know) pound for pound to performance upgrade option would be:

a) Russ Andrews Signature PowerKord (2 metre) with Wattgate 350i AG IEC plugs = £515.90 each.

b) Nordost Vishnu Power Cable (2 metre) = approx. £539.95 each.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gusboll:The question is whether the "best" (subjective I know) pound for pound to performance upgrade option would be:

a) Russ Andrews Signature PowerKord (2 metre) with Wattgate 350i AG IEC plugs = £515.90 each.

b) Nordost Vishnu Power Cable (2 metre) = approx. £539.95 each.

If I had to decide, it would be b)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
georgejack:If you'd be happy to pay £500 for a 2m length of cable then that's good, but please refrian from the personal attacks regarding knowledge.

I wouldn't pay that currently. I got a Shiva for £74 and have just bought a Vishnu for £121.50. I have also had the pleasure of sitting listening to my system upon installation of said Shiva aghast at the improvement it made over a Merlin I was using.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:What cables have you currently got in your system Andrew?

Metal ones, with some plastic-type substance on the outside.

When I typed the question I knew your answer would be less than extravagant. Could you name the brands please? Here is an easy listing:

a) Interconnects -

b) Speaker -

c) Mains -

d) Other (green pen, cable supports, zapperators, snake oils) -

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
georgejack:
JoelSim:georgejack:If you'd be happy to pay £500 for a 2m length of cable then that's good, but please refrian from the personal attacks regarding knowledge.
I wouldn't pay that currently. I got a Shiva for £74 and have just bought a Vishnu for £121.50. I have also had the pleasure of sitting listening to my system upon installation of said Shiva aghast at the improvement it made over a Merlin I was using.

That's good, I noticed a difference between the superscreen and some homebrew Belden 19364/silver Schurter/MK toughplug, but for £20ish to make, that's as far as I'd be willing to go from now on.

Anyhow, how about a fellow watch enthusiast conversation, a little more conservative I think.

I do some work with high end watches, but I have only a passing interest. I have a 1962 Omega that I love, runs about a minute fast per day but it looks nice.

46586.jpg

A

Anonymous

If you work with watches then surely you know that Omega isn't high end

Just kiddin!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Having been out all evening, I was going to post a reply to georgejack but given he missed my point by a substantial margin, I think the post has gone off topic enough by now for me to add to it further...

(other than this post of course
emotion-5.gif
)

John Duncan

georgejack:Ah Omega, I'm a fan myself. My daily wearer is a Seamaster Chronometer (2001) which has been sent back to Omega themselves every 3 years for a service and a polish, it's been on my wrist daily for 9 years and has had some battering, it now runs about 45 seconds slow a day. I have many a watch but the faithfull seamaster is probably my favourite.

But a cable watch is just a cable watch, surely?

A

Anonymous

Okay, have a classic Omega for daily wear..

omegacosmic2.jpg

Plus a number of other retro automatics. My fave Rolex is this one -

IMG_0018.jpg

Anyway, to trifle with the actual topic, until recently not all that convinced by what I'd heard from mains cables in my system, but putting a decent Nordost on my Chord DAC I have been very pleasantly surprised.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crimsondonkey:
Anyway, to trifle with the actual topic, until recently not all that convinced by what I'd heard from mains cables in my system, but putting a decent Nordost on my Chord DAC I have been very pleasantly surprised.

See it works! There's some magic in them there Nordosts, there be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts