OH, the agony of choice...Sony 40w4500 vs Samsung 8 series vs Pana TH42PZ81

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, I'm considering upgrading my 32" sammy LCD with a 40/42" telly.

3 tellies have made it on my short list:

Sony KDL40w4500

Samsung 40" 8 series

Panasonic Plasma TH42PZ81

Each have their upside and downside, but let me clarify what equipment I have and what I do with it so you get a better idea of what would be the best choice for me:

I have a PS3 I use to play games, watch blue Ray/DVD/Divx. That goes through a Sony HTSF1300 receiver/amp through HDMI and back out into the Samsung TV. I watch a bit of television, but mostly I watch DIVX/DVD/BD and I'm not a heavy gamer.

The Sony would be cool because of the HDMI Sync, so I could control most things with a single remote. BUT, while reviews have been very positive about this model, a quick look on the forums was enough to make me think again (Backlight Bleed issues, etc)

The Samsung seems lovely as well. The RSS feed and Multimedia capabilities  sound really good, the reviews are very positive and the price has come down, making it a competitive device. Plus, while my 32" LCD is 2 years old, I'm still very very happy with it, and can't really fault it. BUT there seems to be an ongoing issue between Samsung TV's and recent Apple Macbook Pros, whereby the telly can't display the VGA input from this range of laptops. I don't know if this is the case with Sammy Series 8 though (info about this would be greatly appreciated, by the way).

And Panasonic...what can I say? Saw it in a shop, it does look pretty great with an HD input. Plus there are quite a few advantages with plasma (higher contrast/brighness, shorter response time). Also, there appears to be a satellite cable connected to an SKY dish in my flat, which means I could potentially get Freesat HD without any installation required. BUT I am rather wary of image burn in...

Not sure what to do now!

Help! 

A

Anonymous

shnex:

And Panasonic...what can I say? Saw it in a shop, it does look pretty great with an HD input. Plus there are quite a few advantages with plasma (higher contrast/brighness, shorter response time). Also, there appears to be a satellite cable connected to an SKY dish in my flat, which means I could potentially get Freesat HD without any installation required. BUT I am rather wary of image burn in...

Screen burn is not an issue these days. See here http://whathifi.com/forums/t/184318.aspx

A

Anonymous

I have the 40W4500 (at the moment) which is a great set but have some backlight issues. the Samsung LCD will I imagine have the same or similar backlight issues I have learned being an LCD. I had decided ages ago that the Panasonic you are considering to be the best set in terms of value for money.

If I had to do it again I'd go for the Panasonic PZ81.

Good luck !

TRENDING THREADS