Oh no.. My amp is slowly dying.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Seems that way.. Here is my problem,

I have a Luxman M-02 (old but good) 300W amp,

Yesterday, I turned the hi-fi on, and the right channel tweeter was all distorted, pretty bad too, the distotion was coming out the tweeter when there shouldn't have been ANY sound coming out of the tweeter (I was running some simple speaker test tones) at bass/mid level. I isolated that it's the amp at fault, by plugging an ipod direct into the power amp. So I now know its' not the pre-amp or cd player.

Having left the amp playing music for about an hour or two, I come back in to find the distortion had gone completely.

So it seems now that the distortion is happening when the amp is cold and as it's warming up the distotion is stopping.

Would any of you be able to shed any light on this?

My dad used to do hi-fi repairs for a living a long time ago so we're going to have a look.. But it would obviously help quicken matters if anyone has any clues or has even encountered this problem before!

All the best

AJ

A

Anonymous

And another problem with the amp but this has been happening for a long time, at low volume, the left channel often goes off and to make it come on, I have to increase the volume somewhat then it seems to spark it into life again. Have tried different speakers. Any ideas?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
A guess would be to check that channel's output decoupling cap (if it has one) otherwise, I'm not going to tell your dad how to suck eggs! It's going to be pretty difficult to do any more than speculate.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The simplest thing to do, would be to first open up the amp and give it a good blast with dry compressed air and then vacuum. Next, spray some contact cleaner into the source selector, tone control and volume pots whilst working them. Leave to dry and then see where you are.

A good clean can sometimes work wonders.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with your amplifier but at a rough guess I would start with what's mentioned above with switch cleaner etc. Also check the speaker relay if it has one as these can oxidise and cause the symptoms you are describing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts