Oh no - 4 year old has struck - Mission 752 Freedoms

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Woke up this morning with a very guilty looking 4 year old son telling me that one of my speakers has broken.

Mission 752 Freedoms - which, despite their age I still love.

Basically, he has put his foot through the mid range main dome rhs (dont ask).

It's really badly split.

Luckily I am insured for accidental damage with my insurance company - I have never claimed before in all my life (Im 40) - will this be covered ? I am panicking.

I do however (amazingly,pat on the back to me) still have the receipt for these filed away somewhere. I bought them at a reduced but still expensive price many years ago (15 ish I reckon without looking) of around the £600 quid mark.

I will phone the insurance company tomorrow but does anyone have any advice or dealings with insurance companys before I make the call ?

Can they be repaired ?

Any advice to a fuming father appreciated.

T

the record spot

Check with Mission who may still do the drivers. Failing that, 752s turn up frequently for little money - it's not the first time I'll have seen a near mint pair going for less than £150. Shop round first and see what Ebay or Gumtree has to offer. You might be surprised, find a pair of good speakers and save yourself a claim.

A

Anonymous

There's a pair on Flea Bay, starting at £50...also a bass/woofer unit but you need the mid range, right?

Sliced Bread

psurquhart said:
Hi all,

Woke up this morning with a very guilty looking 4 year old son telling me that one of my speakers has broken.

Mission 752 Freedoms - which, despite their age I still love.

Basically, he has put his foot through the mid range main dome rhs (dont ask).

It's really badly split.

Luckily I am insured for accidental damage with my insurance company - I have never claimed before in all my life (Im 40) - will this be covered ? I am panicking.

I do however (amazingly,pat on the back to me) still have the receipt for these filed away somewhere. I bought them at a reduced but still expensive price many years ago (15 ish I reckon without looking) of around the £600 quid mark.

I will phone the insurance company tomorrow but does anyone have any advice or dealings with insurance companys before I make the call ?

Can they be repaired ?

Any advice to a fuming father appreciated.

Co-incidentally my 12 month son pushed over and broke my Mission 782s about 6 months ago.

Yes you can claim for them, but you will have a fight. The insurance company originally said that their “expert” looked as the “statistics” and found that an old pair of discontinued Mission MX speakers (two ranges below the 78 series) were a direct replacement. They also said that as technology moves on technology is cheaper so they don’t need to pay as much.

Fight this and fight it hard. Mission were very helpful and provided a letter stating that the 79 range is the replacement range for the 78’s and nothing short of this will do. The 79’s are probably also the replacement range for the 751’s. This ensured that the insurance company could not fob me off. They still tried, but I stated that with the manufacturers letter from an impartial source that they must pay up or I will take the matter further.

We settled with the monetary value of the 79 speakers.

Good luck

Sliced Bread

One last point…do not show them the 600 pound receipt unless you really have to. Insurance covers the REPLACEMENT cost. 6oo pounds will NOT replace the missions with a speaker of equal quality...trust me I’ve tried. The 792’s are about 1200 pounds and probably not as good, but you should be able to find something decent for that price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts