oh God oh God oh God

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:this is it, the one....Dynavector Karot is the choice for me. After alot of research and studying with my RB700 tone arm this cart seems to fit fine and for 1000 a little more than I wanted to spend but eh. Question is my exact is 5.5 mv and this is less than half when I bump my phono stage to MC how much volume am I going to lose.

Overtime Mike?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Not sure if it will happen, but I would keep an eye out for specials on the excellent Ortofon Kontrapunkt range. I read that these have just been replaced with new models, so the odd deal may come your way.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:this is it, the one....Dynavector Karot is the choice for me. After alot of research and studying with my RB700 tone arm this cart seems to fit fine and for 1000 a little more than I wanted to spend but eh. Question is my exact is 5.5 mv and this is less than half when I bump my phono stage to MC how much volume am I going to lose.

Don't worry about that aspect Mike, the MC stage will output more gain to compensate for the much lower output of MC. You may even find you have more volume (gain).

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Mike_Schmidt:this is it, the one....Dynavector Karot is the choice for me.Here is the shape of the Karat to illustrate what I mean....

17d_partsname.jpg

As you can see that short stylus does not leave much clearance or room for error.

That is a very short cantilever. I thought the Goldring 1042 rode low but that is worse. Makes me wonder if it will clear the lip of most records, especially when there's a slight warp in the record.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
So if I make sure to lift the arm over the record especially with 180g are you saying I should be okay? The issue over here is where I have to buy the Cartridge (distributor) they dont sell Rega anything but know them quite well and claim that this was the way to go because my arm and table with ttpsu was capable of much more than just the 10X5. Thanks for all your help to.

Graham I work for the Gov't no overtime here LOL!

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Well we put the cartridge on (dynavector karot mkIII) and moved my Moon LP3 to MC but have no volume or dynamics even at 2'0clock. Anyone know why the cart puts out 0.3v? Is it the phono stage?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Mike, in theory you shouldn't lose any volume by switching to MC. The problem sounds to me like the Moon phono has one MC gain setting and that is not sufficient for the low output Karat. Get a SUT or invest in a Dino+ which has several settings for MC.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
you guys are right I shouldn't lose volume by switching to MC. So I double checked my work....well well moving the jumpers to 100 ohm for MC doesn't actually mean that its MC if I were to only look down ohhhhh about inch and half I would have seen another set of jumpers that says gain MM MC wow when you actually set it to MC it works. Im a idiot for posting my troubles especially when I did it. Heres how me say ooops in Canada when its this bad...DOH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts