Oh bother....

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Since restarting our music collection we have been acquiring compact discs like nobodies business, to the point we had approaching 450 cds. Many of these have been acquired free. People just giving their collections away.

Now call me old fashioned, but if I paid money for an album and it was stored electronically somewhere that required a constant Internet connection to access it, I would be forever worried my collection could be rendered unaccessible by some foreign oik trying to extort money from an isp or hosting service by launching a ddos attack.

I have a streaming device but it accesses a hard drive that I have hooked to my Internet router. Call me old fashioned but some berk in a max power muppet mobile isn't going to ruin my enjoyment by wiping out the roadside cabinet I depend on for my Internet either.

Anyway we had 4 cd holders made of oak that matched. The wife saw two for sale that matched on Facebook marketplace and bought them. We turn up to pick them up, load them into the car and the seller says, "if you want you can have the cds for nothing...."

Well that's an offer we could not refuse. They loaded a huge box of over 200 cds into the car and we went home thinking there may be a few we like, seem the rest at auction, quids in.

Oh dear. Turns out we liked about 120 of the discs. Need two more matching cd holders....

manicm

Since restarting our music collection we have been acquiring compact discs like nobodies business, to the point we had approaching 450 cds. Many of these have been acquired free. People just giving their collections away.

Now call me old fashioned, but if I paid money for an album and it was stored electronically somewhere that required a constant Internet connection to access it, I would be forever worried my collection could be rendered unaccessible by some foreign oik trying to extort money from an isp or hosting service by launching a ddos attack.

I have a streaming device but it accesses a hard drive that I have hooked to my Internet router. Call me old fashioned but some berk in a max power muppet mobile isn't going to ruin my enjoyment by wiping out the roadside cabinet I depend on for my Internet either.

Anyway we had 4 cd holders made of oak that matched. The wife saw two for sale that matched on Facebook marketplace and bought them. We turn up to pick them up, load them into the car and the seller says, "if you want you can have the cds for nothing...."

Well that's an offer we could not refuse. They loaded a huge box of over 200 cds into the car and we went home thinking there may be a few we like, seem the rest at auction, quids in.

Oh dear. Turns out we liked about 120 of the discs. Need two more matching cd holders....

I've never stopped buying CDs.

D

Deleted member 188533

So you're fine with good old fashioned ( and common ) house fires and natural disasters but the vague threat of nefarious 'hackers' keeps you from digitizing? I buy CD's too. Well over 600 of them since the late 80s. And I immediately rip them. If I wake up one night and the house is on fire I'm grabbing one external HDD and there's all my music, pictures and important saved files all in one little package that fits in a pocket. Well to be completely honest I have full backups on no fewer than 5 independent external drives one of which I keep at a relative's house in their safe.

90% of internet security is what you click on. Stay away from torrents and cracked programs and warez and don't open emails from people you don't know. Don't use 1234 as a password. etc.

Reactions: Al ears

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have hundreds of CD's and if they remain as cheap as they currently are then I'll have hundreds more. Long live music on CD. No one is going to stop you listening to music if you do it all through the internet as people have much better things to be doing.

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I have hundreds of CD's and if they remain as cheap as they currently are then I'll have hundreds more. Long live music on CD. No one is going to stop you listening to music if you do it all through the internet as people have much better things to be doing.

The ransom they could get from something like Tidal, Spotify, make them a viable target for a dedicated denial of service attack.

Nobody is able to get a ransom on discs I have in my house, well maybe the missus....

D

Deleted member 108165

Best known to me as Ace / 'How Long'
Brilliant track (y) Just listened to it again, this guy/group should have been far more successful or well known, great voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts