Of all the 1080p Blu-Ray Players....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
What would be the collective concensus on which one is best?

Let's have a "you can afford it and buy it at Currys" choice, an "expensive but worth it" choice and a "when I win the lottery" choice.

Just interested. I have a shedload of Blu-Rays and DVDs and it might be a while before I buy a 4K projector and screen, so I might be stuck upscaling to 4K, either at the BDP or in the receiver (mine's a Marantz SR-7010), and displaying on my 65-inch Samsung 6-series 4K TV for quite a while. Point being I can't see me buying a 4K BDP until I have the projector and screen, or a huge 4K TV, and thus picture size, to justify it.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
What would be the collective concensus on which one is best?

Let's have a "you can afford it and buy it at Currys" choice, an "expensive but worth it" choice and a "when I win the lottery" choice.

Just interested. I have a shedload of Blu-Rays and DVDs and it might be a while before I buy a 4K projector and screen, so I might be stuck upscaling to 4K, either at the BDP or in the receiver (mine's a Marantz SR-7010), and displaying on my 65-inch Samsung 6-series 4K TV for quite a while. Point being I can't see me buying a 4K BDP until I have the projector and screen, or a huge 4K TV, and thus picture size, to justify it.
Simple choice this... Sony UHF-H1. If I was buying now this is the machine to buy.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I found the UHP-H1.

Not cheap.... nearly the price of an Oppo 103 (cooking, not Darby, edition).

Why this one and not similarly priced ones from, I dunno, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. or spend the extra $120ish (in the US) for the Oppo?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Firstly it looks smart & easy on the eye. Secondly it plays everything apart from 4k disc. Best upscaler to a 4k tv set.(2160p/60 in 4:4:4) colour subsampling. Plays hi res music as well. I think for the money its a no brainner.

Oppo is one of the best upscaler for DVDs. Panasonic and Sony are brilliant too.

Given that you're likely to buy a 4K blu ray player by next year, I would suggest going for a budget deck, and leave the extra cash for a better 4K player.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Oppo is one of the best upscaler for DVDs. Panasonic and Sony are brilliant too.

Given that you're likely to buy a 4K blu ray player by next year, I would suggest going for a budget deck, and leave the extra cash for a better 4K player.
Have you seen the Sony in action?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
TBH I can't really tell the difference in the visual aspects. Either mum didn't give me enough carrots or it really does send you blind :)

I'm more interested in the audio side of things, but I thought it might be a good discussion point for the collective.

And yes, I may just go straight ahead and buy a 4K unit later this year.

If you take upscaling out of the picture and disable all artificial processing, there is no difference in 1080p blu ray picture amongst players. You're basically paying for upscaling abilities / build quality / other artificial processing like Darbee.

Even with audio, if via HDMI, simply bitstream audio for your AV receiver to decode. Again, there would be no difference.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
bigboss said:

Would that change anything that I've said?
I think it would. Seen one in action and thought of getting one. That's some fit being I got an oppo 105.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
macdiddy said:
Cambridge audio buys parts from Oppo to build its players. May as well buy an Oppo.
Actually, Oppo makes Cambridge Audio players.
Oh really, so what will be the pay off for Oppo then. Cause built quality on the Cambridge is just as good as the Oppo if not better. Trying to work out were Cambridge may cut Corners. Surely has to be performance?

May be less profit margin for both.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
macdiddy said:
Cambridge audio buys parts from Oppo to build its players. May as well buy an Oppo.
Actually, Oppo makes Cambridge Audio players.
Oh really, so what will be the pay off for Oppo then. Cause built quality on the Cambridge is just as good as the Oppo if not better. Trying to work out were Cambridge may cut Corners. Surely has to be performance?

May be less profit margin for both.

Oppo is an American brand. Its products earn a 35% import tarrif into the EU. Cambridge Audio, supposedly, is a UK brand, so all they have to do in the UK is to fit the 13 amp plugs and stick an "assembled in the UK" sticker on the units, and they don't have to pay the tarrif. Also, buying more DAC chips, circuit boards, etc. probably gets the pair of them combined better discounts.

D

Deleted member 116933

To post a reply and different view to your original question. Personally I would forgo all the above and by a used pioneer (and one made by pioneer) off ebay. By far the best disc spinners and if your not all that fussed with 3D or the newer sound formats then i would recomend the BDP 320 (£20-£30 over here) mine is still going strong and let the TV upscale the picture. I've never really understood why one would by Bluray player with an upscaler in it, when the tv dose it and normally far better, it just adds another step in the processing chain and is a complete gimmick. The pioneer 320 still has the best picture quality I've ever seen and have seen no need to upgrade it. And would give the Oppo and Sony a serious run for there money and was made nearly 8 years ago. 1080p Blu Ray tech just hasn't moved on to be honest and is largly the same as it was 10 years ago. Or just by the Oppo! it will be the brand i buy into when they produce a 4k spinner.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So which is best for sound? That is the BDP, not the format / codec / call it what you will.

Atmos, DTS:X, Aura3D, Star Trek TNG holodeck....?

And should we be using the HDMI, the digital co-ax, the fibre optic, or, if available, the X.Y direct audio (RCA) outputs?

Right now my el cheapo Samsung is connected by its single HDMI, and I'm getting 7.1 Atmos off the GoT BluRays (brilliant BTW), not sure about any others. Is there any possible improvement?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
an hdmi lead and a mains lead as you have now to connect your player to any recent a/v amp, this will give you the latest (and any future) surround sound formats (atmos,DTS-X etc), the best audio and if your player can handle them multi channel audio from SACD's (super audio cd).

no other connections needed.

*music2*

Native_bon said:
bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
bigboss said:

Would that change anything that I've said?
I think it would. Seen one in action and thought of getting one. That's some fit being I got an oppo 105.
I don't think it would. Oppo would still remain one of the best upscalers (even if the Sony is better, the Oppo would still remain one of the best) and Sony is still excellent.

millennia_one said:
To post a reply and different view to your original question. Personally I would forgo all the above and by a used pioneer (and one made by pioneer) off ebay. By far the best disc spinners and if your not all that fussed with 3D or the newer sound formats then i would recomend the BDP 320 (£20-£30 over here) mine is still going strong and let the TV upscale the picture. I've never really understood why one would by Bluray player with an upscaler in it, when the tv dose it and normally far better, it just adds another step in the processing chain and is a complete gimmick. The pioneer 320 still has the best picture quality I've ever seen and have seen no need to upgrade it. And would give the Oppo and Sony a serious run for there money and was made nearly 8 years ago. 1080p Blu Ray tech just hasn't moved on to be honest and is largly the same as it was 10 years ago. Or just by the Oppo! it will be the brand i buy into when they produce a 4k spinner.
In my experience, Pioneer players can be buggy with disc playback issues. Loads of threads on AV forums as well. Besides, Pioneer has now sold its AV business to Onkyo, so there is no guarantee of continuing support with firmware updates to ensure future discs will play without issues.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Anyway its matter of what  benedict is looking for. As picture the Sony would give the Oppo really good run for the money. If you looking at best in music performance then got to be the Oppo. For me am getting the nxt 4k Oppo player when its out, then leave music to a Linn streamer.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
As a buy it at Currys option I'd suggest the Sony BDP S7200 which plays all BD apart from 4K/HDR, has Hi-res music support including SACD and it offers 4K upscaling if you want to use it.

If you may be buying a 4K capable BD player in the next few years then I can't see much benefit from buying a more expensive player now unless it is reasonably future proof for playback of 4K discs.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Anyway its matter of what  benedict is looking for. As picture the Sony would give the Oppo really good run for the money. If you looking at best in music performance then got to be the Oppo. For me am getting the nxt 4k Oppo player when its out, then leave music to a Linn streamer.

Not looking for anything, really. Just wondered if there was a collective nod at one particular model. (Yeah, I know. Around here?)

Except my old UK voltage Denon DVD tray is jammed shut, and I'm thinking of something to replace it that'll play UK DVDs and BDs. That and ensuring I'm getting the best upscaling and surround sound (not music) until the Panasonic or Oppo 4K players come out and I can afford to buy one.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
FWIW Bestbuy over here seems to have just about sold out of all of its mainstream 1080p BDPs. Shelves full of the Samsung 4k BDPs and they're selling like hot cakes, apparently.
Never mind there's still only a handful of 4K BDs ( and you can count the number actually with watching on the thumbs of one FOOT), it's RIP 1080p over here.

TRENDING THREADS