Odeon - the best advert for Home Cinema

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I have a Cineworld about 300yds from my flat but I've never been. Too put off by noisy munchers at other cinemas. I have no problem with the principle of the munchers munching, the Cinema needs the sales and the people aren't doing anything wrong, but it does spoil it a bit.

The only Cinema that I visit with any sort of regularity is the old one on Lake Road in Bowness. It's great, there's usually about 5 people at a late screening. You can eat what you like and no-one is bothered as you're all sitting so far apart!

Might give my local a try though, all I have here is a TV and a pair of Creative PC speakers, not quite the full home cinema experience.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If the sound is good and balanced (with sufficient power behind the dialogue), then the munching is much less of a problem. If the sound is poor then you tend to get distracted by the "ambient" noise.

So maybe if Odeon fixes the sound, then the overall enjoyment will be much higher ?

(There seem to be more and more hotels which have a viewing/cinema room - had a very enjoyable evening at one recently with Mrs C - dinner first, then The Descendants with Mr Clooney, and even able to take our wine into the cinema). No kids !!! :)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris said:
... My options now are Greenwich (far too many annoying kids) or Chatham.

Don't forget Bluewater :~

Document below should be handed to all patrons, in all cinemas, before entry. Failure to comply will result in application of aforementioned teeth-meet-kerb action.

code_of_conduct.jpg

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
(There seem to be more and more hotels which have a viewing/cinema room - had a very enjoyable evening at one recently with Mrs C - dinner first, then The Descendants with Mr Clooney, and even able to take our wine into the cinema). No kids !!! :)

I always wonder about these, there's a few hotels near me that have screenings of big sporting events and the like. Just looked up the one across the road and the spec of their cinema sounds pretty credible apart from "High Definition DVD Multi region player". D'oh.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
chris hollands said:
I have 2 eight year olds, and we take them to see the latest blockbusters.

We go to tesco the night before and get bags of popcorn, haribo sweet bags and a few drinks,

We toss a coin to see who is gonna carry the rucksack in without getting caught !!

Try to make it an occasion , ( as it should be for the price ) !

the munching and slurping drives me nuts, but i do not worry because everyones at it ,

Ultimately, most people go go ,the kids,teens,mums and dads, to watch a movie,have quality time with family, or a first date,a social outing, they are not bothered about how good the picture quality is, or if it is in 2k or 4k or 200k with 7.1 or 9.1 HD sound.

After all, the noisy kids are going to be the ones buying into what we are all obsesive about in the years to come, and the big screen is where it is at !

I would much rather have serious viewing at home , with a beer,just me and the missus ,with the kids in bed, on a great projector.( or TV )
I used to take food in this way all the time until I once got fed up with it and spoke to a guy that works there. He said thats its only hot food you are not aloud to bring in. So now I just walk in with the stuff , no one says a word.

Sliced Bread

There must be room in the market for small high end cinemas, for cinema enthusiasts. I'm talking about 20 comfortable leather reclining seats, in an attractive small theater, rocking some B&W 800 Diamonds all round! A nice bar selling wine, beer and whisky and select quiet snacks. Tickets would be more expensive, but not too much as the theatre would occupy less property :) Oh...and it'd aim itself at decent films past and present rather than just showing any of the latest films regardless of how good (or not) they may be. This would have the added benefit of keeping the costs down ;) I would really like to see this one day :)

Sliced Bread said:
There must be room in the market for small high end cinemas, for cinema enthusiasts. I'm talking about 20 comfortable leather reclining seats, in an attractive small theater, rocking some B&W 800 Diamonds all round! A nice bar selling wine, beer and whisky and select quiet snacks. Tickets would be more expensive, but not too much as the theatre would occupy less property :) Oh...and it'd aim itself at decent films past and present rather than just showing any of the latest films regardless of how good (or not) they may be. This would have the added benefit of keeping the costs down ;) I would really like to see this one day :)

That's an excellent business model! :clap:

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
Sliced Bread said:

That's an excellent business model! :clap:
It'll probably go under within a month...especially after I sell myself the equipment and file the business for bankruptcy.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Maybe not a month, but... :p

This is a pretty common suggestion across hobby websites. Computer games fans all want a place they can hang out in playing and discussing games and drinking coffee, golfers want a place they can hang out in trying and discussing gear, and AV/hi-fi fans want what you've just described. Having looked into it and considered it myself, all I'll say is I'd much rather be a customer than a proprietor!

There's a great place in Glasgow which is something like this, but I think it took a lot of time and money to make it a success. It focuses more on the social aspect, I don't know anything about the gear they use. Well worth a visit or ten though! http://www.grosvenorcafe.co.uk/index.php

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Indeed! It used to be rather more humble, but it's pretty impressive now.

I think it's prospering due to the popularity of its location. It's in Ashton Lane in Glasgow's West End, which is one of the best places for a night out in Glasgow.

I worked nearby for a few years, so I've had the odd night out there.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Had many memorable visits to the Bowness cinema on a wet summer's evening whilst holidaying.

Family love it although during the last visit although the children weren't too impressed to find the fruit-shoot selling concession had closed before the film started! It saved me a fortune.

The best cinema of them all is the Woolton Cinema in Liverpool. It's like going back in time and as well as the current movies it does show old classics from time to time.

I do fancy trying FACT in Liverpool when I get a chance. Bigger seats, you can bring your drinks back to them and they have modern classic double bill nights once a month. Next month's is the Goonies and Raiders....

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I quite like the look of the Secret Cinema Club.

looking at the photos on the website the Lawrence of Arabia and Alien nights looked a scream.

Only problem is I didn't see anybody there over 30...

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Some other cinemas for your consideration:

In Birmingham:

The Electric 'we dont sell popcorn' - http://www.theelectric.co.uk/food-and-drink.php They also have comfy chairs / sofas and you can have a beer! This cinema has been around for decades, but it used to be a seedy film place in my youth.

The MAC, which is not in the centre, and its an arts centre: http://www.macarts.co.uk/events/Cinema You can also hire the cinema out for £22.50 / person based on 80 people! http://www.macarts.co.uk/hires/cinema/

In Stratford - upon -avon

Picture house - sort of halfway between a mega-plex and a small cinema. http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Stratford_Upon_Avon/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts