Question Odd issue with Topping NX4 portable DAC/amp

FuzzyThoughts

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I just barely received a Topping NX4 portable DAC/amp from Massdrop, but am having a really odd issue. After getting it charged up I tested it out with my phone running Android 7.0 and my HD6XX headphones. It worked great, but after I turned it off and plugged the HD6XX directly into the phone's 3.5 mm jack (for comparison), and then afterward set the NX4 back up, it simply wouldn't work. Audio only played out of the phone speakers. I troubleshooted this for about an hour that night (following guides like [this](https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9ni4dc/psa_using_a_usb_dac_with_an_android_phone_that/). Nothing worked and I went to bed.

The next day I tried the NX4 out and it worked just fine again, but the same issue would come up if I turned off the NX4 and then tried to turn it back on. The exact same thing happens with my Android tablet--the NX4 works when I initially connect everything, but then will not work if I turn off the NX4 (or disconnect the on-the-go cable) and then turn it back on. It will work again if I wait about 3 to 4 hours it seems like, though.

With my laptop running Windows 10 I have a similar problem, except I'm able to get it actually work occasionally again by turning the NX4 off and back on, but it isn't consistent. This workaround doesn't work with my Android devices.

So the weird thing is that I'm able to use the NX4 just fine for listening as long as I don't power off the NX4 or disconnect the on-the-go cable from the NX4 or phone/tablet/laptop source. If that happens, then I have to wait a few hours for the NX4 to successfully send audio to the headphones.

Any ideas what could be going on here? Is it worth requesting a new unit from Massdrop? Or is that new unit going to behave the same? Does anyone have experience with this or similar devices?

TRENDING THREADS