Observing priorities . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Life has become a little complicated recently, nothing I cant handle but, has made me stand back and re evaluate . . . I have this old Rotel 820 amp,circa 1990 . . . Professional Monitor Co., LB1, transmission line speakers. I have posted plans on hear to change the amp; Brio R . . . or something valve'ish??? This plan is still work in progress . . . but as I say complications? So, to relieve my computer of playing the roll of a CD transport, and to ease the load on my bank account, it has been suggested . . . as I like the Rotel's smooth, rich, analogue sound, 80's style, why not plug a dedicated CD player into said Rotel and relax financially for a few months . . . thats how we used to do it back then, 'source was king'! I will still be auditioning before purchase. A Rega Apollo has been suggested or as a cheaper option, Marantz CD6003/4? either will have to stand alone as an analogue CD player, no budget for a DAC at the moment. The new amp or DAC? . . . can follow after Christmas . . . Christmas! the local QD shop is selling Christmas decorations already! I know its around the houses, but, as I say, immediate priorities have to be observed. Your views on the above please? CJSF

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Instead of getting a CD player, you could get an inexpensive new or 2nd hand DAC or audio interface and use that with your PC / laptop / Mac for playing the music on your CD's.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Instead of getting a CD player, you could get an inexpensive new or 2nd hand DAC or audio interface and use that with your PC / laptop / Mac for playing the music on your CD's.

Hi Lindsayt, thanks for your input . . . One of the points is to take pressure off the computer DVD mechanism . . . ti's true, I could continue as I am, I do have an HRT DAC in between the computer and amp, works superbly well IMHO. I listen to a fair bit off of Spotify, mainly old 50's and 60's recordings that have not been adulterated with digital remastering or endless multi tracking, the purity is amazing, to my ear even at MP3 quality?

Use of the computer transport was discussed on hear when I first joined . . . it was perceived as a 'cringe factor' to use the DVD, more in terms of sound quality I think? I'm not convinced over the build quality of computers, spent an afternoon yesterday, tracing a problem to the power supply over heating, just happened that I had a new fan of the correct size.

. . . that said, the revitalised power supply and while I was at it, spring dusted, CPU heat sink and fans seem to have put a new leas of life into the old girl, obviously running faster and CD's have a richer more detailed sound . . . can this be?

As I have said, priority rules . . . ? Financial considerations for the remainder of this year, means, its a CD player or an amp . . . or, as you suggest, stay as I am? My Hazel has a major back operation coming up in a couple of months, time and efforts will be directed in that direction. Then when Hazel is on the mend, its going to be a long haul, we can reconfigure, and continue setting up our listening hi fi:grin:

Its a fine line, under normal circumstances, I'd go, amp and CD player . . . the other factor . . . in the back of my mind . . . I do like the sound of my vintage Rotel 820 . . . as Hazel said to me last night, why change what is not broke . . . ? She is not wrong, but I fear the computer may be broken, just at a time when we can least deal with it????

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Using the DVD/CD reader/writer in your PC as a CD player transport is not ideal!

Use it to rip your CDs (with something like iTunes).

Or - as you said in your post - buy a dedicated CD player for playing CDs, and just use your DAC for Spotify/internet radio etc.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Its a fine line, under normal circumstances, I'd go, amp and CD player . . . the other factor . . . in the back of my mind . . . I do like the sound of my vintage Rotel 820 . . . as Hazel said to me last night, why change what is not broke . . . ? She is not wrong

CJSF

To be perfectly honest with you CJ, if that Rotel amp is making you smile I’d keep it for the time being. I look at so many people on this site, that say they are happy, and then change everything six months later. A big part of the reason why I haven’t upgraded my equipment for 14 years is because I have a lot of faith in the engineering that went into it, coupled with the sound they all make when working together. It puts a smile on my face every time. I sometimes think that simple contentment in hi-fi is a much undervalued emotion.

Regarding the CD player issue, you could also save yourself some money by picking up a CDP second hand. Even my local cash converters usually have something sonically interesting in stock, and usually going for well under £50! Just remember that it needs to have an electrical digital output, so that you can upgrade the DAC at a later date.

Having followed your previous threads, I think if you were buying new, the Marantz might be a little too polite for your tastes (they always were for me), but by all means give it a listen. Besides the Apollo, you might also want to check out players by NAD which some say have a fair bit of ‘get up and go’. However, if your long term plan is to get a DAC, then it might be better to wait, and give the Audiolab 8200CD an audition. This would also have provision for your PC to be hooked up to it, and save you having to buy a DAC and transport separately You may well find that there are some good deals to be had in the new year?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like your ideal solution would be to get a CD player with a digital input so you can also use its DAC.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, had a long hard think today, quiet at work . . . Hazel will be convalescing for 2 or 3 months, she likes her music/radio, we have a knackered Teac CD/radio she uses around the house. The Rotel/computer etc is not her cup of tea, she is more technically ignorant than me!!!

So, a new CD/radio type thingy, for her birthday at the weekend seems like a good idea in readiness for the months after the operation.

It seems the best option to go forward hifi wise, is a dedicated CD player, taking into account the suggestions. I'll be fascinated how the Rotel/LB1 combination reacts . . . I have everything to gain.

I was listening to some loved CD's last night, nothing heavy or deep, a bit of Jimmy Nail, Dire Straits, Jennifer Warnes . . . the sound produced was so very smooth and valve like, even more than I was aware . . . the computer really is sounding better now its operating correctly? As Mr Morph says, I have a smile on my face, the sound really is 'music to my ears' . . . why change it . . .

All I have to do is find a decent Radio/CD player for Hazel at the weekend, you are not 65 every time, Chinese in the evening . . . ? and wait for my friendly hifi supplier to return from holiday at the end of the month. Set up a listening session; CDp, Brio, valves with my venerable Rotel 820/LB1's as a control, its a good job Dave and I go back many years, 31 to be precise ;) . . . I can then plan ahead . . . control freak, me . . . ? :D

Thanks all for you input and patience, it is much appreciated, I know I ramble on a bit, but its a bit like having a chat with a friend (not got many of those:( ) over a cup of tea . . . :silenced:

CJSF

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
a bit of Jimmy Nail, Dire Straits, Jennifer Warnes . . .

Curse you! Now that’s just made me break out the ‘Love Over Gold’ album again… Another 40 minutes of my CDP’s life gone… lol…

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr Morph said:
CJSF said:

Curse you! Now that’s just made me break out the ‘Love Over Gold’ album again… Another 40 minutes of my CDP’s life gone… lol…

Hay Morph, great album . . . just having a 'Love Over Gold' night cap, while I have a look on the web at something for Hazels birthday present . . . I got it wrong, she tells me she wants a 'mini system' . . . ?

CJSF

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Mr Morph said:
CJSF said:

Hay Morph, great album . . . just having a 'Love Over Gold' night cap, while I have a look on the web at something for Hazels birthday present . . . I got it wrong, she tells me she wants a 'mini system' . . . ?

CJSF

I thought the rule was "never buy a woman anything with a plug on it"? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts