Obscure HiFi brands

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
In the late 1970s, my dad, after going through a period of building his own speakers with varying degrees of sonic success, bought a pair of Wren floorstanders from his HiFi dealer. They were typical ‘HiFi speakers’ of the day: three-way with a large bass driver (12” I think), built into veneered cabinets with fixed cloth grilles. I remember their grilles had a small metal badge in the top right hand corner with a picture of a wren on them. I also remember they cost him £80, which wasn’t exactly pocket-money in 1978. However, I have never heard of the brand since then, and Googling has found nothing either. I was to eventually trade them in for a pair of MkII Wharfedale Diamonds when I was putting together my very first ‘proper’ HiFi as a teenager.

Also in the 1970s, but several years before he bought the Wrens, my dad acquired a Goodwood integrated amp. He was friendly with a singer in a local big-band and he took the amp in exchange for a pair of AKG mikes which his friend had taken a shine to. It too was typical of its day, being built into a wooden enclosure, with a black metal front and chrome-rimmed knobs for source, bass, treble and volume. Flick-switches provided toggles for Power, ‘Tepe Moni’ (tape monitor), and the obligatory Loudness and Mono. It even had a ‘X-Tal’ input on the back for ceramic cartridges. Again, I haven’t been able to find out anything about this brand, and I haven’t ever seen any other electrical components branded as Goodwood. This amp still survives in my dad’s loft.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/obscurati

The shame is we don't get to hear more about them (hint hint WHF) ... It would be fascinating to hear about the hifi path less trodden.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Keesonic - Maker of the Kub, popular small (and relatively cheap) speaker in the the late 70's/80's. They made a few bbc style monitor designs, like the K.B.M (Keesonic Broadcast Monitor) and K.R.M (Keesonic Reference Monitor) as well as the Kolt, a direct competitor to the LS3/5A used in mobile Broadcast applications.

6963925151_33302c38a2_h.jpg

6963923427_14f7212361_h.jpg

KORD - Maker of Studio monitors, the 'Tornado' and smaller ' Vulcan'. Based on Volt BM220DS 8" Mid bass and Scan Speak D2008 tweeters.

5627278576_46ee4d15a8.jpg
7274740216_9513578e19.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts