Novice question on receivers / speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I recently bought an HDTV (Sony Bravia KDL-40EX503) and a PS3 Slim console, primarily for playing blu-ray discs. The PS3 is connected to the TV through an HDMI cable, and sound plays through the TV speakers -- which, as the review on this site mentions, aren't great at all. The TV aerial will also (once I get it working) be connected directly to the TV.

I'd like to get some external speakers in -- the room is small so am limited to a 2.1 set-up. I spent some time reading about / researching budget receivers, but am just wondering -- the Sony TV has a headphone out (3.5mm jack), so could I not just get a pair of ordinary speakers and connect it to that? Apart from being connected to the TV, I'd probably only use the speakers for listening to music from a portable mp3 player / ipod now and then, in which case I'd just manually disconnect / re-connect the lead from the TV.

Just for the purpose described above, would there be any benefit in getting a separate receiver such as the Sony STR-DH810 (reviewed here http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-STR-DH810/)? I understand such receivers can decode fancy multi-channel Dolby [x] audio, and the PS3 may not, but I imagine the bottleneck here is in fact the 2.1 set-up, ie there's no point using the potentially more advanced decoding features of the receiver as it'll be wasted with 2.1 anyway. I also understand that it may be less hassle to connect up multiple devices (control multiple using a single box / remote control), but in my case there's only 3 inputs (TV aerial, PS3, mp3 player), and two of those can be connected permanently to the TV (TV aerial and the PS3), and the other I would only play sometimes - and wouldn't be a major hassle to detach / re-attach the speaker lead.

Would appreciate any advice or guidance you may have! Finally - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks very much,

Anton

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You can't use the headphone out directly to passive speakers because there's no amplification, which passive speakers require. If you don't want an amp of any sort you'll have to get some active speakers, which include amps, don't know what you'd get for £350 though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts