Not used hi-fi for a while - does it matter if its gathering dust?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, due to personal reasons my hi fi had to go into my brothers loft until I have found a proper accomodation of my own. Currently its gathering dust so would that be a no no in terms of it working again.......? I have not used it since the start of the year and only probably plan to use it at the beginning of next year so will the dust have caused issues when I eventually use it again?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I expect that your hifi will be fine.

However if you really are concerned that there is a risk to your hifi, mitigate it by doing something cheap and simple like put it in a box or a bag, or cover it in something like newspaper, or a piece of cloth.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you can buy them at Argos - vaccum bags. You put your hifi inside, "zip" up the bags then use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out. They will keep dust, spiders, creepy-crawlies and rain out. For added protection get some silica gel packets from somewhere or blue copper sulphate crystals (Boots? B&Q?) and put the crystals inside old socks or tights inside the vacuum bags to absorb any lingering moisture. If you have the original boxes then put your hifi inside those as well.

Benedict_Arnold said:
I think you can buy them at Argos - vaccum bags. You put your hifi inside, "zip" up the bags then use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out. They will keep dust, spiders, creepy-crawlies and rain out. For added protection get some silica gel packets from somewhere or blue copper sulphate crystals (Boots? B&Q?) and put the crystals inside old socks or tights inside the vacuum bags to absorb any lingering moisture. If you have the original boxes then put your hifi inside those as well.

If you have gone the vacuum bag route the addition of silica gel should not be necessary as you have already extracted all the air / water vapour. But if you deem it necessary.......

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Get some vacuum bags sounds like a no-brainer.

41nmYe9ifUL._SY450_.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Alears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

If you have gone the vacuum bag route the addition of silica gel should not be necessary as you have already extracted all the air / water vapour. But if you deem it necessary.......

Belt'n'braces. Vacuum bags aren't perfect and will leak air back in over time. The vacuum cleaner won't suck all the air and / or moisture out either.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Alears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Belt'n'braces. Vacuum bags aren't perfect and will leak air back in over time. The vacuum cleaner won't suck all the air and / or moisture out either.

I stand corrected - nothing wrong with belts and braces :)

So vacuum cleaner and vacuum bags but no vacuum? I think we have a case for the Trade Descriptions Act here.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
It's all relative. I once had Cranfield University do some industrial scale tests on vacuum insulated pipeline segments. The lowest vacuum they could achieve was 35 mm of Mercury, not a perfect vacuum. I don't think even Richard "don't mention they're all made in Chinese sweatshops" Dyson would claim any better. The vacuum bags' seals and the material itself will allow air back in over time.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
It's all relative. I once had Cranfield University do some industrial scale tests on vacuum insulated pipeline segments. The lowest vacuum they could achieve was 35 mm of Mercury, not a perfect vacuum. I don't think even Richard "don't mention they're all made in Chinese sweatshops" Dyson would claim any better. The vacuum bags' seals and the material itself will allow air back in over time.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:

[/quote

I'm sure you meant to write James "don't mention they're all made in Malaysian sweatshops" Dyson ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts