Not sure about Demo?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Rang up superfi today to see if I could get a demo of the Roskan M2 CD player and amp and the Audiolab8200cdq with 2 8200m mono blocks. They cant get the monoblocks for demo but have the 8200p and said this shloud give me a good idea about it. Thoughts on this are welcome.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Demo's are not an accurate way to test equ....

Best go with a shop with a reasonable exchange policy.

I recently 'upgraded' my amp. my 1st choice was the Audiolab 8200a. It sounded fine in the shop test room. powerful and clean. Got it home...wow...3 weeks constant play. The sound changed dramatically from unlistenably harsh to just harsh. The power band and frequency range was really narrow i.e 9 oclock to 10 oclock on the volume dial after that it was just painfull...to me. HF were flat making female vocalist unbearable and there was no low frequencys.

swapped it for the Rotel 1520...a much better amp although it sounded duller in the demo I just need to find the right interconnects now....

I should have just bought a new reciever....:cry:

matthewpiano

Did you take your partnering kit to the shop for the audition Thompsonuxb?

I agree, to a certain extent, that auditions in the dealer's dem room have limited use, but I still feel it is better than buying blind and relying on a returns policy. The best solution, IMO, is to find a dealer who is prepared to offer a home demo.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lol...hell no...me, risk getting mugged by some thiefing little urchin and losing my system which took years to save up for.....:)

No, I use demos to get a general idea, once home I'll then tweak till I get the sound I like. To me the difference's between kit is small but significant. Unless like the Audiolab I feel there is just no hope - don't know how it got 4stars off WHF.

matthewpiano

Thompsonuxb said:
lol...hell no...me, risk getting mugged by some thiefing little urchin and losing my system which took years to save up for.....:)

No, I use demos to get a general idea, once home I'll then tweak till I get the sound I like. To me the difference's between kit is small but significant. Unless like the Audiolab I feel there is just no hope - don't know how it got 4stars off WHF.

So that begs the question, what source and speakers were used in the demo?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Went through the shops "on display" stock. from 1st visit to handing over cash took about 5weeks

Roksan Kandy cd ( also tried the Marantz Pearl lite cd and a Cyrus 8x something) player as the point of reference, it had the most even sound. And the Epos M22i (£925) speakers - single wired. It was just to give an idea of what the amps could do. Like I've said in my other thread the Rotel sounds o.k in isolation. But played back to back with my old amp it come's up real short in my home att.

I know it can sound better with the right interconnect.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. How do home demos work? Do you have to leave some kind of deposit? Think it will be hard finding someone to allow me all the audiolabstuff and the roskan candy. Might be a silly question but can i bi-amp speakers with the roskan?

A

Anonymous

When I've done home demos with KJ West One, they would let me borrow their demo equipment to take home over the weekend, I would leave a deposit via credit card. This was after I had heard a range of equipment in their demo room and narrowed the choice down to the specific equipment I think I want to buy.

I think its important to demo the equipment in store with as near a setup as you have at home as possible. If a home demo is then available, you get the chance to confirm your choice by listening to it in your home before departing with your hard earned.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Found a place that does all the products i want to demo, But in order to do a side by side home demo and need to pay for all the products then i can take it back after a week or so providing they are in the same condition. Trouble is I don't have 5000 thousand to spend right now. Next Best thing is to demo in the shop or possibly to one a time when i have a bit of money. Thoughts on this?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Try your options out in store first. Settle on what you like, then that's less products to try out at home. If there's anything lacking when you get them home, discuss this with the store and they should be able to make a recommendation based on what you tell them.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Try your options out in store first. Settle on what you like, then that's less products to try out at home. If there's anything lacking when you get them home, discuss this with the store and they should be able to make a recommendation based on what you tell them.

Thanks will try that. They dont Have the B&W 684's to try them do you know of any speaker that they stock which would be remotley similar? Dont have a car so cant really take mine in if they would even allow this.

They have Boston Acoustics, Dali, Elac, Infinity, Kef, Misision, Opera, Pathos, Q Acoutics and Wharfedale. Not much information i know more details on the sight...www.avland.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts