Not happy with picture, What should I look at upgrading?

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Dear experts and enthusiasts,

Little advice please. I was watching a Blu Ray of The Matrix today and was distinctly unimpressed with the picture. There was a lot of noise on the picture, particularly during the darker scenes (I know, the whole film's kind of dark). On top of this, fast motion was a little jerky, and slow pan shots also suffered.

My hardware is a Panasonic 42PZ70 (which isn't 24fps compatible AFAIK, and a PS3).

Question is, should I be looking to upgrade to a standalone BD player, or should I change the TV?

Thanks

Shaun

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
have you calibrated your screen properly - using a Star Wars DVD - there's an optimiser.

Otherwise, you should consider a tacima power block (£25) and/or a Clearer Audio Mains lead for your tv (£35).

A

Anonymous

I don't think you should change the TV, as I think these got good reviews.

I recently upgraded 2 components in my system ( I wasn't happy with the flickering of picture on the IMAX clips in the Dark Knight, especially those showing the buildings).

I upgraded my BD30 ( on par or little better than the PS3) to a Denon DVD-2500BT, a bit expensive I know, put you can get some good prices on this and the Pioneer models if you look around.

Secondly I added 2 No Clearer Audio power leads, one to the Amp, the other to the TV (about to purchase one more for the Blu ray player).

The difference in picture and sound quality is day & night, so I would suggest upgrading your blu ray player and adding the clearer audio mains cables.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You might want to consider an ISOTEK MIRAS mains conditioner. Made quite a difference to my Pioneer. I also recommend a decent braided mains cable (Another improvement)

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
markjaspi:
I added 2 No Clearer Audio power leads, one to the Amp, the other to the TV (about to purchase one more for the Blu ray player).

The difference in picture and sound quality is day & night, so I would suggest upgrading your blu ray player and adding the clearer audio mains cables.

Pleased that you have been happy with the cables Mark.

Best regards,
Darren

A

Anonymous

hi, do you think the clearer audio power cable would make a difference to my 10 yr old sony home cinema system as when i play dvds they are grainy and my tv is brand new and the picture is brilliant. i have not got blue ray yet.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:
have you calibrated your screen properly - using a Star Wars DVD - there's an optimiser.

Otherwise, you should consider a tacima power block (£25) and/or a Clearer Audio Mains lead for your tv (£35).

Hi, After spending lots of time making sure I get the best quality possible for my modest budget I was intrigued to read about the possible gains suggested by so many by just adding a £25-£40 Tacima conditioner/protector to the source AC.

It sounds like a no brainer really but does such a cheap option compare to the £200+ stand alone conditioning units such as the one suggested above by another reader?

Also read a few expert comments that they can have a negative effect on quality as easily as making a positive one, I'm in two minds and would love to hear any comments that could help me and the original poster.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I bought a tacima to go with my kit (see sig). The major difference I noted was on SD channels with a lot less graining / less noise on the picture. Must admit on HD sources (ps3 and Bd35) didnt notice any difference. When plugging my reciever into it, I did notice a slightly better seperation of sounds, however this could have been caused by making and breaking connections / tidying up cables etc. Doing this however seemed to rob the amp of some oomf, so I decided to plug straight back into the mains.

So as you can see, I gained the most benefit on SD channels. I would certainly recommend buying one. What I would also recommend is that you ensure that your video cables and power leads are well routed and seperated from each other, also it may pay to invest in better shielded cables (no I do not want to start the fierce debate, but I do believe shileding DOES matter).

All of the above should help the picture (as well as running the THX optimiser on all inputs). Also it is a lot cheaper thanr eplacing or upgrading kit
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks True Blue, so what you're saying is, for the TV a conditioner is a good addition but in your opinion the cons out way the pros when it comes to the amp/sound side of things so you run that via standard mains connection?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Lee,yes that is pretty much it. TV, Blu ray etc into tacima and high current devices (amps, subs etc) straight into wall socket. Could well use upgraded mains cables on those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts