• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

NOT HAPPY with my mid-range hifi system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Guest
Intetesting. I too was unimpressed with the sq of SBT, in fact, I preferred the sound of my modded duet.

I've been looking at various ways of eliminating the wireless part of streaming, and am (for now), happy with my netbook connected to my DAC via USB, running Winamp with a plug in that bypasses windows kernel mixer ( 5 minute install, 5 minutes set up, well, now I've done it, first time took a while to work out preferences in winamp and how to save them) - controlled via iPhone/iPad.

I'd say the sound was as good as my cdp, though admittedly its not a high end model.

Most of my pc based music is in FLAC file format.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Why?

Fair question. Whilst I really rate the SB and the media server and the user interface, the duet can be a bit of a 'mare if it suffers a disconnect or insufficient bandwidth.

it's not that much trouble to reset or restart the source machine etc for me, but there are others in the house who don't have the patience or wherewithal to have to re enter network passwordse etc., it can be a long winded process.

I know the touch is better in this regard, but as I mentioned I wasn't impressed with the sq. ( in comparison to my existing set up ).

Winamp/USB/DAC ensures no dropouts when I'm using my wireless network heavily, plays all my files and is quicker in respect of app control.

The windows mixer bypass does appear to up the sq to what I'm used to.

What I really want is a silent, ssd server with a quality digital out route with wireless network capability. Whilst I could get one made, larger ssd drives are expensive, and I do have a spare netbook, so hard to justify extra cost.
 

cheeseboy

New member
Jul 17, 2012
246
0
0
fair enough. :D

With regards to a silent server, you can have one pretty cheap if you look down the intel atom route. I think the acer revo has an optical out as well if you didn't want to build your own. Then you can just stick a nas in a cupboard and you're pretty much good to go.

But, if you already have a netbook, then you could just re-purpose that. Not sure how quiet your netbook is though.

For anybody who is interested in the whole mixer bypass on windows - if your soundcard doesn't come with it's own asio style drivers, try asio4all - iirc it's free :)
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
Mar 11, 2005
511
16
18,895
MajorFubar said:
One good thing Steve is that if your PC turns out to be unfixable, then assuming you've backed-up your files, you could be up and running with a cheap second hand one in no time.
true, though one of the reasons for buying the Sony was the optical s/pdif out, and a 500G hard drive to store the music on the PC
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
cheeseboy said:
fair enough. :D

With regards to a silent server, you can have one pretty cheap if you look down the intel atom route. I think the acer revo has an optical out as well if you didn't want to build your own. Then you can just stick a nas in a cupboard and you're pretty much good to go.

But, if you already have a netbook, then you could just re-purpose that. Not sure how quiet your netbook is though.

For anybody who is interested in the whole mixer bypass on windows - if your soundcard doesn't come with it's own asio style drivers, try asio4all - iirc it's free :)
Hi, Asus 1008ha, practically silent in operation and very low power consumption, probably less than a Nas. The Winamp .dll bypass plug in also free and a one step job, I think the Asio also needs a driver install?
 

cheeseboy

New member
Jul 17, 2012
246
0
0
Nogsk said:
Hi, Asus 1008ha, practically silent in operation and very low power consumption, probably less than a Nas. The Winamp .dll bypass plug in also free and a one step job, I think the Asio also needs a driver install?
not exactly, the asio is a replacement soundsystem if you like, so it is the driver as well. Generally when people talk about sending things out bit perfect etc, asio is one of the systems used.

Some info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

Always worth trying asio 4 all before spending cash on software that does the same job.

In most applications there is an option to chose default audio output device. Most of the time it's set to default, which is usually the windows system - directsound. This bypasses that and goes to the soundcard directly.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thanks Cheeseboy, I'll look into it and give it a go.

This was the source of my Winamp plug in info :

http://hifi-advice.com/Winamp5-kernel-streaming-info.html
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I now have my M-DAC properly configured on my PC (with foobar2000 and asio support), and quite happy with that solution for listening to my big library.

But for my most coveted and cloistered recordings I'm happy to put them through the CD player. I now have a new found appreciation of my CD collection!

Not too unhappy anymore ;)
 

landzw

New member
Jun 9, 2009
281
0
0
stee_doc said:
Hello - this is a follow up from my previous topic "Happy with my mid-range hifi system"

The REASON I'm now unhappy is simulaneously a rant aboút squeezebox touch.

I thought getting a touch would be the final piece of the jigsaw - and that I'd convert all my discs to flac and live happily ever after - but this has not happened.

The logitech has a community of people trying to tweak and fix it to make it better and more audiophile. Obviously I want my touch to sound as good as possible so yesterday I got into a 12 hour odysey of trying to do all the things that people suggest. I have now come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have to do this - or worry about this - having just bought a piece of hi fi equipment. What audio kit buyer wants to be knee deep in terms like:

"kernal" "root" "factory reset" "tt -w" "mod" "winSCP" for 12 hours? I ask you!

The constant draw to improve the thing has left me feeling dead inside. After several factory resets of the device I compared it to my CD transport and felt that it was indeed lacking in comparison.

So now the process of converting all my CDs to FLAC seems like a bad idea - and I'm sending the touch back. I think.

Instead I will buy some CD cleaner - sort out my CDs - and spend the refund money on new CDs. I think.

Anyone caring to reinstate my bubble please write to this address.
I regret the day i sold my stack hifi system that cost me £2500 to put together over the years to only get £200 on ebay, thinking the future was all digital downloads and rips of my cd collection .

I spent a fortune buying different iPod docks and sonos systems but i was never happy with the sound quality including the poor stereo separation, and it didn't matter what codex i converted my cd's too it was never the same.

Since then i just don't have the money for another hi quality system so now have a Yamaha mini system and i think its great, i have gone back to purchasing CD's and just rip what i need for the gym on my shuffle.
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
Mar 11, 2005
511
16
18,895
stee_doc said:
I now have my M-DAC properly configured on my PC (with foobar2000 and asio support), and quite happy with that solution for listening to my big library.

But for my most coveted and cloistered recordings I'm happy to put them through the CD player. I now have a new found appreciation of my CD collection!

Not too unhappy anymore ;)
Does the MDAC not require its own proprietry USB ASIO driver? Both the dacmagic and the NAD 390DD do in order to connect a PC via asycnhronous USB.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Really interesting thread.

I too am having problems with the SBT.

Up till last week i had a Duet plugged into a dacmagic, i was very happy with the sound it made.

The duet went belly up so, its on Ebay now along with the Dacmagic.

I bought a SBT and i am running it without an external dac.

There seems to be something missing.

A little ooomph for the want of a better expression.

I was under the impression that the SBT's dac was reasonable, but it seems to be below the performance that i was previously achieving.

Any thoughts? , Rega dac, any tweaks etc.

Dont want to hijack the thread though, no offence.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi,

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have done the same thing and has taken me best part of a year to get to a good (really good) well balanced system using the SBT.

The TT mod changes the sound and can emphasise areas of spectrum but conclusion by many were that the Logitech defaults were best. I agree. However, I think there is mileage from some of the tweaks in that turning off parts of touch that are not being used to reduce noise.

I think sorting the SBT PSU really cleaned up background noise so that more detail was apparent. Also, putting a switch Netgear I have between router and touch. Finally hard connecting. All this helped. Alot of pain it has been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of biggest improvements recently are Stands, using carbon fibre spacers on stands and positioning stands.

So I think you can achieve really good results with SBT but may take a little time and experimenting. For me the convenience (including duet controller) is essential due to family life.

Please feel free to ask anything!

Ambrose

[/quote]

Really interesting thread.

I too am having problems with the SBT.

Up till last week i had a Duet plugged into a dacmagic, i was very happy with the sound it made.

The duet went belly up so, its on Ebay now along with the Dacmagic.

I bought a SBT and i am running it without an external dac.

There seems to be something missing.

A little ooomph for the want of a better expression.

I was under the impression that the SBT's dac was reasonable, but it seems to be below the performance that i was previously achieving.

Any thoughts? , Rega dac, any tweaks etc.

Dont want to hijack the thread though, no offence.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Really interesting thread.

I too am having problems with the SBT.

Up till last week i had a Duet plugged into a dacmagic, i was very happy with the sound it made.

The duet went belly up so, its on Ebay now along with the Dacmagic.

I bought a SBT and i am running it without an external dac.

There seems to be something missing.

A little ooomph for the want of a better expression.

I was under the impression that the SBT's dac was reasonable, but it seems to be below the performance that i was previously achieving.

Any thoughts? , Rega dac, any tweaks etc.

Dont want to hijack the thread though, no offence.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Really interesting thread.

I too am having problems with the SBT.

Up till last week i had a Duet plugged into a dacmagic, i was very happy with the sound it made.

The duet went belly up so, its on Ebay now along with the Dacmagic.

I bought a SBT and i am running it without an external dac.

There seems to be something missing.

A little ooomph for the want of a better expression.

I was under the impression that the SBT's dac was reasonable, but it seems to be below the performance that i was previously achieving.

Any thoughts? , Rega dac, any tweaks etc.

Dont want to hijack the thread though, no offence.
 

cse

Well-known member
Mar 3, 2008
97
5
18,545
I think this all proves that the CD is hear to stay. Too many people rely upon it for simple ease of use and excellent sound quality.
 

ISAC69

New member
Mar 13, 2012
73
0
0
landzw said:
stee_doc said:
Hello - this is a follow up from my previous topic "Happy with my mid-range hifi system"

The REASON I'm now unhappy is simulaneously a rant aboút squeezebox touch.

I thought getting a touch would be the final piece of the jigsaw - and that I'd convert all my discs to flac and live happily ever after - but this has not happened.

The logitech has a community of people trying to tweak and fix it to make it better and more audiophile. Obviously I want my touch to sound as good as possible so yesterday I got into a 12 hour odysey of trying to do all the things that people suggest. I have now come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have to do this - or worry about this - having just bought a piece of hi fi equipment. What audio kit buyer wants to be knee deep in terms like:

"kernal" "root" "factory reset" "tt -w" "mod" "winSCP" for 12 hours? I ask you!

The constant draw to improve the thing has left me feeling dead inside. After several factory resets of the device I compared it to my CD transport and felt that it was indeed lacking in comparison.

So now the process of converting all my CDs to FLAC seems like a bad idea - and I'm sending the touch back. I think.

Instead I will buy some CD cleaner - sort out my CDs - and spend the refund money on new CDs. I think.

Anyone caring to reinstate my bubble please write to this address.
I regret the day i sold my stack hifi system that cost me £2500 to put together over the years to only get £200 on ebay, thinking the future was all digital downloads and rips of my cd collection .

I spent a fortune buying different iPod docks and sonos systems but i was never happy with the sound quality including the poor stereo separation, and it didn't matter what codex i converted my cd's too it was never the same.

Since then i just don't have the money for another hi quality system so now have a Yamaha mini system and i think its great, i have gone back to purchasing CD's and just rip what i need for the gym on my shuffle.
Hi landzw

I must agree with you classic and jazz music I hear only through my CDP , sorry but streamer based system

can not compete the sound quality of cds .

The CD is still alive !
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
Mar 11, 2005
511
16
18,895
cse said:
I think this all proves that the CD is hear to stay. Too many people rely upon it for simple ease of use and excellent sound quality.
Totally agree, >95% of my music is CD audio, the only difference is the transport! I've got one 24/192 track and damned if I can hear any benefit over 24/96. The big benefit of pushing for better than CD quality is a 24 bit resampled master is a very different prospect.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
7
18,795
SteveR750 said:
I'm not happy with my "high end" PC based system. I have a problem with my laptop which is sick and throwing up all over my carpet. It is intermittently freezing or does a blue screen. Windows thinks it's perfectly healthy, but clearly it aint, and I am musicless until I can fix it. This is where the good idea suddenly is less so, I've never had a problem with any laptops or PCs of my own or used from an employer until now. Peed off is an understatement... |(
When you get the BSOD what does it say on it? This information can often give a good indication of what the problem is.

You can do this by looking in the Event Viewer or by preventing automatic restarts after a BSOD.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
cse said:
I think this all proves that the CD is hear to stay. Too many people rely upon it for simple ease of use and excellent sound quality.
That's very true! Certainly for the short to medium future.

ISAC69 said:
sorry but streamer based system can not compete the sound quality of cds .
...but sadly that's ill-informed and misleading ********, as quite a few people, including me, keep telling you.
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
Mar 11, 2005
511
16
18,895
steve_1979 said:
SteveR750 said:
I'm not happy with my "high end" PC based system. I have a problem with my laptop which is sick and throwing up all over my carpet. It is intermittently freezing or does a blue screen. Windows thinks it's perfectly healthy, but clearly it aint, and I am musicless until I can fix it. This is where the good idea suddenly is less so, I've never had a problem with any laptops or PCs of my own or used from an employer until now. Peed off is an understatement... |(
When you get the BSOD what does it say on it? This information can often give a good indication of what the problem is.

You can do this by looking in the Event Viewer or by preventing automatic restarts after a BSOD.
Here
 

SteveR750

Well-known member
Mar 11, 2005
511
16
18,895
MajorFubar said:
cse said:
I think this all proves that the CD is hear to stay. Too many people rely upon it for simple ease of use and excellent sound quality.
That's very true! Certainly for the short to medium future.

ISAC69 said:
sorry but streamer based system can not compete the sound quality of cds .
...but sadly that's ill-informed and misleading ********, as quite a few people, including me, keep telling you.
To be fair, all ISAC69 ought to do would be to prefix his comments "In My Experience" then it's all in context.
 

omnibeard

New member
Dec 7, 2010
27
0
0
MajorFubar said:
ISAC69 said:
sorry but streamer based system can not compete the sound quality of cds .
...but sadly that's ill-informed and misleading ********, as quite a few people, including me, keep telling you.
+1 - it's starting to drive me a bit potty when people state opinion as fact. Especially when that opinion is spectacularly uninformed.
 

cheeseboy

New member
Jul 17, 2012
246
0
0
Nogsk said:
Thanks Cheeseboy, I'll look into it and give it a go.

This was the source of my Winamp plug in info :

http://hifi-advice.com/Winamp5-kernel-streaming-info.html
Hadn't seen that one - cheers :) I like my winamp :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS