Not a major issue but......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
...my sub is set to auto and whenever it turns itself on it pops. This only started about a week or so ago and have had it set up for a couple of monts now. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I experienced this intermittently when my gear was new but never investigated it as I found that I prefer having it set to 'on' rather than auto, switching it off at the mains when the system is not in use.

A

Anonymous

Can I ask what type of sub you have?

I have a B&W PV-1 and have heard a similar intermittant popping sound, which I've never made time to investigate.

I'll have a play around to see if I can identify the cause (in my case) but I'd suggest that if this problem has only recently started then something has changed.

Not much help, I know, but I'd start by checking all of the connections (on both the sub and your AMP) and see if anything has worked itself loose.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
qwerty69:...a similar intermittant popping sound, which I've never made time to investigate.

Can be caused by having the sub's gain set too high, and thus the sub output from the receiver set very low, which can cause the subwoofer's automatic on/standby switching to cycle during quieter sequences. It's one reason why you shouldn't use the auto on/standby system when running receivers' autocalibration programs, but have the sub switched to 'always on'.

One solution may be to back off on the sub's gain control, and crank up the sub level in the receiver's set-up menu a good bit to compensate, meaning the sub will always be on when the system is in use.

Or, as has been pointed out, to switch the auto on/standby to always on, and remember to turn the sub on and off when required.

The pop the OP is getting is probably a muting relay lifting - the output from the amp in the sub will be muted for a moment when the sub switches itself on, to allow things to stabilise, and then it will unmute. It's really not a problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

I have an intelli panel power strip which switches off all of it's sockets when I turn off my TV so I may try plugging the sub in to that and then leaving it switched to the on position. That way the sub will turn on and off along with my Television.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fellas!
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS