Normal XLR connection or Rega specific?

GAMorrison

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello all, wondering if anyone can help me with what the correct connector is to link a Rega EXS to a Rega Luna? The Luna has RCA out for but the EXS has what looks like an XLR connector but with a 4th hole. Would it be Rega specific?

Screenshot_20200913-163121_eBay.jpg

Thanks
Grant

My guess would be a bit of both!
A normal XLR, with a hole apparently specific to Rega.
If I were you Grant, I'd be looking at the connections inside the amp. I reckon you'll find there are only 3 terminals. While you're there you can confirm it's conventionally wired.
Yep, it's an old one and I cannot even remember what the matching preamp was called.
I would suggest a call to Rega might clarify issues otherwise have a look inside as a normal XLR to phono cable might be all you need.

GAMorrison

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Finally got the amp opened to see how the xlr is connected.

20200927_114147.jpg

Does it look like 1 will be screen with 2 and 3 being left and right?

Also got a shot of the full board if anyone is interested.

20200927_114209.jpg

After reading about Rega found that the pre amp for the EXS would have been a Rega Hal.

GAMorrison

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Tracked down a reply from Rega about the xlr connection on the Rega Hal, pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is the right signal and pin 3 is the left signal.

Subject: Rega Hal connection and Phono settings.

Sadly we do not have the REGA XLR leads available as the HAL was discontinued in 1999.

The Hal had non-balanced outputs but used the XLR socket as a convenient connection method.
Standard XLR cables will not work with the HAL.
Therefore connection is as follows - Pin 1 is GND (ground), Pin 2 is Right signal and Pin 3 is Left signal.

The Dip switches in side control the MM or MC input sensitivity and loading...

Gain:
S1 & S2 off = 34.2dB sensitivity = 5mV (MM)
S1 on = 55.6dB sensitivity = 400uV (MC)
S2 on = 49.8dB sensitivity = 800uV (MC)
S1 & S2 on = 58.7dB sensitivity = 290uV (MC)

Load:
S3 & S4 off = 47kohm
S3 on = 10ohm
S4 on = 100ohm
S3 & S4 on = 9ohm

I hope this is useful,

Regards,

Simon Webster.

service@rega.co.uk

Time to get the cable made now (y)

Gray

Ignore all that I said in previous posts Grant!
I'd just assumed the socket was one of a pair feeding only a channel each - as is usually the case!

As you say, the single socket is obviously taking both channels (good old Rega).

There are easy ways of confirming what pins you need to connect to if you know what you're doing (and are making your own lead - let me know if you want to).
Otherwise Al's suggestion of a call to Rega might be your best option.
(I worked in the amp dept. at Rega - never saw that one).

EDIT:
Just seen your post above.
Good stuff (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: GAMorrison

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts