Noob amp questions

Kyelko

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Basically I've been looking for a new AV receiver for about 2 months. Mine has a problem with volume. Its ok as long as you don't want loud music. It does quite well with TV. But now I'm starting to think why not get a half decent stereo amp.

My problem is. I know next to nothing about amps. And my speakers are second hand. They sound good to me but now I've started listening to vinyl I want better quality sound.

My main front speakers are 2x Kef Q4s.

Anyone know of a good amp for these? I was looking at the NAD C326bee. But I haven't heard it. And I can't find anywhere close to me that stocks it.

matthewpiano

The NAD C326BEE is a very good amp - not particularly neutral but very involving. You'd need an external phono stage but there are plenty on the market at reasonable prices such as those from NAD, Cambridge Audio, Graham Slee, and Rega.

As far as I can tell distribution of NAD is now the job of Sevenoaks so I think the product is only available in those stores.

Other options worth considering include the Rotel RA-10, which is a great amp for the price and has a very competent phono stage built in.

Kyelko

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Sweet. Well I have a NAD PP1 phono preamp. I was originally thinking about getting an amp with one built in.

How do you find your RP3? That's the TT I've been looking at for a while also. But I think a better amp is priority at the moment. Haha

Kyelko

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Also if I wanted to biamp would I need 2 stereo amps or could I use an amp with zone1/zone2 and just wire both of those up to the speakers?

matthewpiano

The RP3 is brilliant - the one part of my hi-fi that I know is here to stay. It is just simple, well made, and really enjoyable to listen to.

Regarding bi-amping, you would need to add a power amp to make this work. Simply using the A and B terminals on an amp is bi-wiring because you are just taking 2 stereo feeds from the one power amp in the amplifier.

Kyelko

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
My bad. I actually meant biwire. Not amp. Haha silly me.

I'm daydreaming about buying new speakers now. I wish I could stop myself from spending but its too fun :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts