Non WiFi wireless speakers

manicm

We need to talk. I have a fundamental problem with these speakers and reviews of these speakers.

Let's take the Q Acoustics M20, and hardly any review, including WHF's, pays any attention to Bluetooth performance. Because let's face it, unless I don't know better, that's how the majority of users will connect to it.

Then we have the Elac Debut ConneX DCB41. And WHF did pay attention to its Bluetooth performance. And generally it's the worst, followed by the digital connections, with the analogue being best.

So basically the raison d'etre of these speakers are short changed.

Or am I missing something? Some here on hifi forums may use the analogue or optical ports to connect a third party streamer to.

But to my mind the majority of buyers want to unbox it, play music through their phones, and let the dog have fun with the manuals.

I think at a minimum premium manufacturers like the two above should strive at least to implement Chromecast, where I'd happily pay an extra 100 quid or so for the privilege.

I'm looking at the M20 itself, mainly for TV connection through optical, and wishfully for satisfactory Bluetooth, as for now I wouldn't add an additional component.

Gray

But to my mind the majority of buyers want to unbox it, play music through their phones, and let the dog have fun with the manuals.
The majority of the 'normal' population might - not least in a desire for some convenience.

But I think the majority of hi-fi types want optimum performance (often instead of convenience), so regard Bluetooth as a bit of an add-on. In other words, nice to have it included, but not an essential requirement.
Reviews reflect that....and reinforce the opinion that BT is a less than perfect afterthought.

As for letting a dog have my manual 🙄
No pets for me.

manicm

But that's my point, however even non audiophiles demand good sound with the convenience, and the reviews and/or equipment comes up short. To think that they don't care about sound quality is a bit arrogant.

In light of the target market, they must try harder. I myself would buy such a speaker to minimise box count, not increase it.

Which is why I find it very funny when people pick on KEF wireless speakers.

Gray

Which is why I find it very funny when people pick on KEF wireless speakers.
Yes, the Kef in particular looks good for those buying for convenience and tidiness with no compromise on quality.
But even then there was the recent poster asking what would be a more reliable wi-fi streamer to plug into it 🤨

From all we hear about what the Zen Blue does for BT, it seems a shame that there aren't some decent powered speakers with that sort of BT quality built in - maybe there will be. At the right price, they'd sell a few 👍

Reactions: manicm and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts