No TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
i was referring to the likes of John DL that appears to want his cake and eat it.
It's a well know fact that if you want a TV in the UK you're going to have to pay a licence fee, irrespective of whether you watch BBC or not.
That's why I asked the OP what type of TV he has. If it's a Smart TV then watching crummy programmes should be an issue, with a plethora of streaming channels available.

daveh75

It's a well know fact that if you want a TV in the UK you're going to have to pay a licence fee, irrespective of whether you watch BBC or not.

Not even remotely factual!

You might want to acquaint yourself with the actual requirements from the TV licencsing website, rather than just perpetuating misinformation.

I haven't (legally) required a TV licence in over a decade despite owning and using a TV...

Last edited:

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
I`ve not watched broadcast or mainstream TV, American or English language films or English/US blockbusters for over 25 years and I don`t miss it one bit.
I do pay the licence fee though because I think it`s a bargain for all the many, many wonderful online articles on everything and the World Service on shortwave - which I can`t do without - abroad or at home.
I have a 12 foot projector screen and a new Panasonic VZ2000 77" with no AVR receiver just a little Onkyo micro system and a little sub.
I have 150 TB on 50+ raid 0 and 1 servers, JBOD`s, SSD`s, NVMe`s on 2 workstations, 5 dual and triple boot Linux/Win/Android for Desktop touchscreen laptops and a 8K Asus ROG laptop.
In 25 years I have collected 3-4 million films, documentaries and albums.No need for TV at all.
My teacher told me when I was eight in 1973 that TV was bad for your brain.
Since then I really lived - I was a single dad in Bordeaux, Haugsund, Bermuda and Hurghada, St. Petersburg, Monaco and Lindos - I went to 62 Countries, played tenor sax and flogged £1M esoteric Hi-Fi`s in Hong Kong and Macau in the 1990`s etc.
I suggest getting outside more - turn off the mobile occasionally and get a landline with a TAM.

I made Bob the iron scarecrow (with the sax on him) out of scrap that I welded one summer in the garden.If you look carefully he has chain silver hair, 2 ears, 2 arms and 3 legs (the long one in the middle is an old uplighter stand because he has no feet.He`s naked because he`s a naturist - like me - an old hippy.
Because I was on homebrew wine feeling daft he has a rudimentary 3-piece suite - haha! The sax has gone all over North Africa, The Med, Mainland Greece and Turkey, The North and South and middle of France, Norway, Caribbean, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, All round London and Essex, Chichester, Bognor, Wallsend, Byker, Four Lane En ds, Foula and of course the Whitby Goth Festival ,Edinburgh for the fringe but my favourite gig was under the 14C Castle of the Knights of St John and the 4th Century BC Acropolis in Lindos, Rhodes , Dodecanese, Greece playing boogie woogie 1920`s Jazz and trad at midnight and it was 105 degrees at 1am and 136 at 11am.30 or 40 Greeks and tourists were dancing - it was magical.I only went to the lindianet internet cafe once in 2 weeks for a couple of ouzos or twenty; taking it easy.
Bob The Iron scarecrow - Garden.jpg

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I think it was so long ago when I last owned a telly, it was a little £35 CRT jobby ha ha. I did watch some telly around a friend's house for a while occasionally up until about 10 years ago. But the odd thing is, is that I found that having not watched it in any sustained way now for so long, when I inadvertantly end up in front of one, it appears in a different 'light' to what it did when I was used to it. ✌🏻

I think it was so long ago when I last owned a telly, it was a little £35 CRT jobby ha ha. I did watch some telly around a friend's house for a while occasionally up until about 10 years ago. But the odd thing is, is that I found that having not watched it in any sustained way now for so long, when I inadvertantly end up in front of one, it appears in a different 'light' to what it did when I was used to it. ✌🏻
Ah, right. You don't have a TV? If you don't have one, why start a thread?

We only have a cheapo 32" LG, but it has all the bells and whistles. The other night I watched The Wicker Man (the original version from 1973) and you can get the likes of The Professionals, Minder, The Sweeney.... all free of charge on the streaming service. Along with retro TV progs, there's a shed load of modern films and TV series.

Perhaps you should look at the option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts