No Sound using HDMI only

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System

Hitachi Plasma 42PD5200,
Panasonic DMR-75EB-S HDD&DVD Recorder
Sky HD Box
Sony STRDG820 (AV Receiver - With HDMI interface)
Panasonic DMPBD35 Black (Blu-ray Player)

Problem
I have just been bought the Sony amp and Panasonic Blu-ray player and I am having difficulties setting them up to output using the HDMI. I have them all connected via QED HDMI-P leads except the cable from the Sony output to the TV as this is a Monster 400 HDMI to DVI cable as the TV does not have a dedicated HDMI socket only DVI. The Sky HD, Panasonic DMR-EX75EB-S and Panasonic DMPBD35 are also connected to the Sony using Optical and Coaxal sound cables.
In the set-up I have told the Sony to only output sound via 'AMP' but although I get pictures transmitted to the TV via HDMI/DVI I cannot get any sound to travel through the HDMI cables? If I use the optical/coaxal leads theirs no problem.
Therefore I cannot get the high end audio Dolby Tru or DTS Master because the sound only travels through the Optical/Coaxal cables and not HDMI.
Can you help my dilema, is it the lack of proper HDMI socket on the TV that is causing the problem and if so, why when you are telling the sound to travel from the Sony to only be output though the 'AMP' and not to TV as well?

nads

the DVI will not be cusing the sound problem at the amp. But as DVI is picture only all your sound will have to come from the AV amp.

so what are your lets take the BD player settings?

Oh and disconnect the the optical/coax cable it is not needed. and set the the HDMI Audio output to on.

how is that.

A

Anonymous

not sure whay you mean by

'so what are your lets take the BD player settings?'

still can't get any sound without using the Optical/Coaxal cables

nads

well have you turned the HDMI out to ON?

that is what i mean by your settings.

as it sounds like you have not read the manual at all.

If you have then you should be able to say what settings you have set it to and then maybe someone may spot where you may have gone wrong.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The first thing I would try is disconnecting the HDMI to DVI cable from the TV and amp altogether and see if the problem is still there on the audio side. I think that it might actually be the DVI that is causing the problem due to handshake issues. If it is, it's not just Sony that are incompatible.

A

Anonymous

I read the DMP-BD35 manual virtually every night for the past week !

the settings are:

Dynamic Range Comp - Off

Digital Audio Out - Dolby = PCM - DTS = PCM - Mpeg = PCM

BD Video Secondary Audio = Off

PCM Down Conversion = Off

Downmix = Surround Encoded

HDMI Connection:

HDMI Video Mode = On

HDMI Video Format = Auto

24p Output = Off

HDMI Output Range = Enhanced

HDMI Audio Output = On

Viera Link = On

Do these settings answer your question ?

It still does not ouput thro HDMI

Nigel

A

Anonymous

Carried out the following Disconnected the optical lead from the Sony STRDG820 switched on the amp & Blu-ray altho the HDMI was displayed on the Sony panel there was still no sound.

Next disconnected the HDHI-DVI cable that runs between the Sony & the TV consequetly had no picture on TV but now the sound began to be outputed thro' speakers with HDMI displayed on Sony panel.

Summary

The TV is the culprit because it does not have a proper HDMI input socket only a DVI this upsets the Sony STRDG820 & cannot output true HDMI sound to the speaker system!!

A

Anonymous

You were right the HDMI-DVI cable running from Sony STRDG820 to Hitachi 42PD5200 was the cause of the problem the Sony cannot handle it. For full instruction & summary to the test see bottom of this forum page

Thanks you were spot on

Nigel

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Ah well, time for a new TV. You could still bag a kuro before they disappear from the shelves!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

i am sure it is because of the dvi on the tv as dvi does not carry sound

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, more likely to be a problem with the amp's HDMI Audio out and Vieralink being set to on - you don't need either with an HDMI-DVI connection. I use an HDMI-DVI cable to my display, and it doesn't cause any problems at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts