No holds barred dream AV setup...

danielberwick

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Assuming I'm not breaking any written or unwritten rules (I checked, but couldn't find anything) I wanted to ask one of the most often asked, but enjoyable questions of all:

If you have unlimited funds to do with as you please and you decided you wanted a new uncompromising full AV setup at home, what would you build? Go crazy, live your dreams!

Idea to think about: What would each of your speakers be? Would you put in 11.2 or go for something like a commercial THX cinema setup? Would you seperate audio into a different speaker set or unify it all in an integrated AV system? Would you build your own custom room all the way up from bricks and morter and how would you design it?

I thought it might be fun to explore, but ignore me if it's all been done before.

Thanks,

Dan.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As it would be "unlimited funds" for an "uncompromising" AV set up, I'm sure most people would go for an all out mega-theatre to replicate their local multiplex. At the moment, 11.1/11.2 is more or less the limit, but we will see home theatre AV processors that will start to incorporate Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos can accommodate up to 64 discreet channels of information, although for obvious reasons, a domestic version will be a lot less, but will certainly be more than 11.

Speaker systems that are used in theatres won't really work properly in a home environment as they've been designed more for high SPL, and won't match the quality of some of the top domestic systems. If you had a dedicated room that is of a similar size/volume to a cinema, then certainly the likes of JBL would be on the cards, which are used in the majority of cinemas.

If you wanted to take advantage of a full THX setup, you would have to have the room built to certain specifications.

The advantage of a room that is smaller than a genuine cinema, is that the electronics and speakers won't need to be pushed as hard, which will also preserve sound quality. So a room of around 7x9/10m would be a nice size to produce cinema level output with far less distortion and better quality electronics and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS