No hifi :-|

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My amp just died. Now I feel naked and might throw the TV out the window. Bloody electrical storms must have killed it when the power oscillated on and off about five times in the space of getting up, walking three meters and turning it off. Last time this happened the speaker protection cut in and blew an output transistor. That means a trip to David Pritchard of Netaudio. It'd be rude not to get some mono blocks now... ...or a call to Joel to try his Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta [;)]

A

Anonymous

if only you had been to "russ andrews savers"
emotion-1.gif

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Try claiming under your household insurance policy. I had a power surge which killed my high end PC a few years ago even though it was connected to a surge protector socket. The insurance company paid out in full.

igglebert:My amp just died. Now I feel naked and might throw the TV out the window. Bloody electrical storms must have killed it when the power oscillated on and off about five times in the space of getting up, walking three meters and turning it off. Last time this happened the speaker protection cut in and blew an output transistor. That means a trip to David Pritchard of Netaudio. It'd be rude not to get some mono blocks now... ...or a call to Joel to try his Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks DV. I think I've got away with a fuse replacement as it uses 2A a on the rear and must have stopped any nastiness. I'm using it with close observation and I think it's OK.

A

Anonymous

You were lucky with the fuse replacement. I keep plenty of spares at home, just in case.

As a side note I think the Neutron subwoofer would go nicely with the SA1 speakers? It would replace the S2000, Quad and Quake, as well as adding a DAC.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion Taylor74, you're probably quite right. What sort of current delivery can it muster up? The Quad is about 20A peak and if/when I mono them I'll have 40A. It's all moot really because I'm laying a patio and getting married; no fun cash for at least a year!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Thanks for the suggestion Taylor74, you're probably quite right. What sort of current delivery can it muster up? The Quad is about 20A peak and if/when I mono them I'll have 40A. It's all moot really because I'm laying a patio and getting married; no fun cash for at least a year!

Bad news IB - both on the Amp problem front, and the lack of fun cash
emotion-1.gif
. Wouldnt some kind of surge protector 4 way plug thingy protect you from this kind of problem in the future?

A

Anonymous

JamesOK:
igglebert:Thanks for the suggestion Taylor74, you're probably quite right. What sort of current delivery can it muster up? The Quad is about 20A peak and if/when I mono them I'll have 40A. It's all moot really because I'm laying a patio and getting married; no fun cash for at least a year!

Bad news IB - both on the Amp problem front, and the lack of fun cash
emotion-1.gif
. Wouldnt some kind of surge protector 4 way plug thingy protect you from this kind of problem in the future?

I have a Tacima but I was strongly advised by the chap that rebuilt my amp to plug it straight into the wall. Various mains conditioners and surge protectors will impact the sound of a power amp. My experimentations support this too.

I've bought 20 more fuses so the wee 2.5A protection on the amp can protect away!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts